StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you need an oil filter wrench for your DL, you can get one from NAPA auto parts for less than $5, about a third of the cost for the Suzuki tool. It's plastic, but looks sturdy. Fits a 3/8 drive ratchet. FYI.

Tim

Q

·
0 Posts
long screwdriver (if you have the rags and a can of brake clean)
old pair of big channel locks
strong hands :lol:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Tim!

I bought a metal one from a local 'jobber', 3/8" drive, fits over the end of the filter - don't remember how much. Gave up on the strap-wrench as it kept slipping.

Al

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've just put a K&N oil filter. That's how every filter should be!
It got a 17 mm socket on the end, no special tools required, just a wrench.

Q

·
0 Posts
how much are k&n oil filters? the cost of a proper oil filter wrench is cheaper then a bike's life of k&n oil filters

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I bought the Suzuki item, not cheap but here's my theory. If I get the specific tool for a specific job things just go along much better. I doubt that I would buy a tool for a one time only job but oil filters are a fact of life and keep happening

·
Registered
139 Posts
water warrior said:
I bought the Suzuki item, not cheap but here's my theory. If I get the specific tool for a specific job things just go along much better. I doubt that I would buy a tool for a one time only job but oil filters are a fact of life and keep happening
Oil filter wrenches are a comondity item. Suzuki just wants more for putting their name on some other companies cheap wrench. Buy the right size at wal-Mart/Autozone/NAPA/favorite box store.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Grimel

Fully agree in theory. But in my somewhat twisted world fate will strike me down 9 times out of 10. I can go to half a dozen big box stores and auto suppliers and they are out of stock for the occassion. This just annoyes the hell out of me and costs gas money so I just cut out the foolin around and pay up front. Besides on the filter tool issue, I was there anyway so why not get it over with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It certainly looks like a good tool. Is it sold as a filter wrench, or is it a tool for old ladies (& limp wristed guys) to take jar lids off with? :lol:

Al

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
RubberDown said:
The filter pliers I posted work better than the Suzuki wrench and it fits ANY filter! :p
I bought my filter wrench at a Suzuki dealership....not sure if it is the Suzuki wrench, but it wasn't more than $8.00, and it works PERFECT! It fits right over the oil filter, and I take my ratchet to tighten and untighten. I have tried the other methods....and I thought that they plain sucked compared to this wrench. My 2 cents! :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Big B said:
I bought my filter wrench at a Suzuki dealership....not sure if it is the Suzuki wrench, but it wasn't more than $8.00, and it works PERFECT! It fits right over the oil filter, and I take my ratchet to tighten and untighten. I have tried the other methods....and I thought that they plain sucked compared to this wrench. My 2 cents! :wink:
My tool to tighten the filter was free!

I use my hand. :oops:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I totally agree with using the filter pliers. I've got two cap wrenches that supposedly work on the Suzuki filters on my three bikes, as well as my Mazda Protege5. Unfortunately, at least half of the time the fluting doesn't seem to match the filters and the wrench slips. I end up ramming a large screwdriver through the filter and hope I can get it loose. I also now use the pliers on the Protege5. Works great and cost only about $5 at a local tool discount place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts