StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsatisfied with my factory mirrors (isn't everone?), I took them off and donated them to my dual-sport for proper trail demolition...one down, one to go. Anyway, I wanted a good replacement but the extenders are pricey for what they are and I didn't actually care for the mirror heads anyway. I looked into the Buell mirrors, but didn't like those that much either.

Finally, I found a good affordable replacement that I really really like. I was in Iron Pony's storefront and found the BikeMaster Supersport mirror with 10mm threads, and they looked to be the perfect width.

The style isn't bad, and the mirror head is wide instead of boxed which I like. They fit great, go to about the end of the grips and my rear-vision is now just perfect, I can see just the edge of my jacket, but pure wide road on each mirror, literally perfect. Best of all they were $12 each so for $25 I have a nice mirror that's cheap to replace should I ding one. Heck, for that price you could order two and have backups on hand.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along for anyone that's looking for an affordable alternative that works.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for the tip....can you post pics of your Strom with these mirrors?

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Are these mirrors flat or convex like the originals ??

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here's some pics....snapped when I got home from work so excuse the lack of sexy.

They're not the most sleek mirror on the market, mind you, but I wanted something that looked like they might have come on the bike, that work, and are easier to replace than a $50 stem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the pic's.Did thread size match up with OEM mirrors?I'll bet they would be better for vision as well as turbulence?

thanks again,
wolf1

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
those look nice...almost like the EMGO mirrors I picked up from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Those Emgo units, those are flat glass? Convex?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Emgo. The name just conjours up images of quality stuff. :rolleyes1:

Swingset, more details on how you broke the mirror? I heard you were riding off road / dual sport with these two righteous dudes who are god-like in their motorcycling abilities, or something, and the mirror just fell off?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pic's.Did thread size match up with OEM mirrors?I'll bet they would be better for vision as well as turbulence?

thanks again,
wolf1
Yep, lined up perfect. They do sell a RH that's reversed threaded for Yamaha, but you just want the std. RH/LH 10mm style that Honda/Suz uses and viola they mate up perfectly.

They are very stable at high speed too, no wobble or turbulence at all...even on crappy roads I didn't get any shake or blurry rear-view.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Emgo. The name just conjours up images of quality stuff. :rolleyes1:

Swingset, more details on how you broke the mirror? I heard you were riding off road / dual sport with these two righteous dudes who are god-like in their motorcycling abilities, or something, and the mirror just fell off?

Something like that.....this ****ing curve jumped out in front of me, I was just minding my own business going too fast, then I had a spasm in my right hand and it grabbed some brake and the gravitational displacement field shifted and suddenly I was pulled to terra firma, where my trusty Vee mirror broke my fall and prevented serious injury. And, that picture will attest that I'm still able to say "You're number one!"

:D

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I tried several different types of Emgo mirrors and did not like their lack of quality. However, I found these universal mount Parts Unlimited mirrors. Same basic cost as the Emgo, but much better quality. They are flat glass and the stems are longer and lower than stock, so it clears aftermarket windshields better.

http://street.parts-unlimited.com/13/296/6029551

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just installed the BikeMaster Supersports--perfect fit. I like the appearance on the 'Strom, but the glass quality is not good; there is some distortion around the left and right edges. I'll need to ride with them for a while to see if they hold their adjustment as they seem a little flimsy on the rotation point.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried several different types of Emgo mirrors and did not like their lack of quality.
+1 on emgo quality... I just bought some 10$ ea mirrors from them and am disapointed by the quality (well, guess you get what you pay for! :rolleyes:). They vibrate much more than stock and also do not keep there adjustments.

Other thing i realised is convex mirror makes a huge difference from flat mirrors.

I'm now contemplating the possibility of changing for thoses:
http://street.parts-unlimited.com/13/296/6029714

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Unsatisfied with my factory mirrors (isn't everone?), I took them off and donated them to my dual-sport for proper trail demolition...one down, one to go. Anyway, I wanted a good replacement but the extenders are pricey for what they are and I didn't actually care for the mirror heads anyway. I looked into the Buell mirrors, but didn't like those that much either.

Finally, I found a good affordable replacement that I really really like. I was in Iron Pony's storefront and found the BikeMaster Supersport mirror with 10mm threads, and they looked to be the perfect width.//
Thanks, installed them today. I ordered Buell turn signals from them as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts