StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

As a proud new owner of a V-Strom 650 :D I want to equip the bike with some basic extras:

• Centre Stand
  • Bash Plate
  • etc

Now, after some research I decided on SW Motech stand & plate. But they are bloody expensive at $645 for the pair.

Anyone has other idea(s) of where one could buy cheaper products or other similar cheaper things ?

My wife is about to kick my out as it is now ... :grin2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
happy-trail.com has a center stand for around $159 or so. Also they have a nice bash plate for $150.

I have my eye on both of them and will be adding them to my bike soon.

A good friend of mine has outfitted his KLR with many accessories from HappyTrails (including the bash plate), and he is very pleased with their service and their quality.

They are definitely worth taking a look at.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's a nice looking plate,the ravetech one was nice too.
I'll be waiting till after Xmas, both had good prices compared to the others I've looked at.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeap .. saw that. Like it :D:grin2:

This bash plate from Suzuki is $216. Any good ?

Accessories | Suzuki Motorcycles
The Suzuki bash plate is light duty, good enough to protect the oil filter/cooler from flying debris kicked up by the front wheel but I don't think it would stand up to bouncing over a logs on a forest trail. B & B is another Aussie made alternative and doesn't need to be mounted to crash bars. Bash Plates | B&B Off Road Engineering | Ballarat
An alternative to fitting a centre stand is to fit an automatic chain oiler and also saves carrying a can of chain oil when away on an overnighter.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Suggest that you consider what service you think the bash plate needs to do. Protection from stones/debris should be fine with the part engine mounted type, but if you think you may be doing tracks where you may land on the plate, go heavy duty full frame mounted only.

Enduroguardian, Emperor Racing are 2 of the toughest going.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
happy-trail.com has a center stand for around $159 or so. Also they have a nice bash plate for $150.

I have my eye on both of them and will be adding them to my bike soon.

A good friend of mine has outfitted his KLR with many accessories from HappyTrails (including the bash plate), and he is very pleased with their service and their quality.

They are definitely worth taking a look at.

Ride safe!

Happy Trail makes great stuff. I have both their skid plate and highway legs and they're both very high quality. The skid plate was easy to install, works with my OEM center stand, and is very strong. Their customer service is also very good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for me to understand than, if I want heavy duty, I can't fit centre stand on the bike ?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Just for me to understand than, if I want heavy duty, I can't fit centre stand on the bike ?

The short answer is yes, but I can't speak for all brands. I know most skid plates work with the OEM center stand. I highly recommend the Happy Trail one though. You can also mount highway pegs to it for long distance touring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I made my mind. I'll go with a light(er) plate and opt for a skid/bash plate with centre stand.
Givi bash plate seems to be the cheapest for me at AUD $216.

If anyone knows a bash/skid plate cheaper pls, do tell :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Suggest that you consider what service you think the bash plate needs to do. Protection from stones/debris should be fine with the part engine mounted type, but if you think you may be doing tracks where you may land on the plate, go heavy duty full frame mounted only.

Enduroguardian, Emperor Racing are 2 of the toughest going.
Has anyone actually seen any damage done by an engine mounted bash plate, just curious :smile2:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone actually seen any damage done by an engine mounted bash plate, just curious :smile2:
Yeah I was just curious on that.

A (aluminium) skid plate, will deform and bend when hit hard, that means it absorbs the shock by bending the metal.

I am afraid that if you mount a steel plate, on the engine and jump with a bike on a log, something has to give. In this case, the engine will absorb most of the force.

I tend to think that you risk more damaging the engine with a heavy duty plate than a steel, solid bash plate.

I donno about others, but I would rather change the bash plate than the engine :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
For me it's more a bit of insurance against the odd impact against a high rock or similar flung back towards that oil filter,really can't see me doing any log jumping by design.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Oh!! I had better take my bashplate off then, if it's so destroying. Only been on for 7/8 years and well over 100K km. I don't go log hopping, but have a gouge out of the plate where I bottomed out on a rock.
I think there is a scare campaign about these engine mounted plates, I have yet to see any proof that they will destroy an engine, within "normal" use. Just sayin' >:)

Reactions: Wanderlost

·
Registered
403 Posts
Been times where I have inadvertently been down some one way only rough stuff..somehow ended up there. Would not have been happy banging down the bottom on a engine mounted basher.

Chops, what's this of a 'scare campaign' against engine mounted plates? ....no doubt any plate protects very well and some have nicer profiles than others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts