StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Princess Auto has another cheapy. Extra large bike cover for $15.55 CDN. I picked one up today. You get what you pay for. It is kinda cheesy PVC, I'm thinkin' it won't last too long in a lot of sun or below freezing temps, but for 15 bucks even if it ony lasts a season that works for me. It'll be a good dust cover when the bike is in my shop.

The extra large fits my bike with Givi V45 top box and Nelson Rigg SB 900s. It won't quite cover all of the side bags, but other than that, fits well.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Nice find there dude. I love stopping in at Princess Auto, you never know what kind of oddities and goodies you might find.

I always end up buying stuff I dont need, just because....

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I need to put a leash on my wallet every time I step into Princess Auto. They have an amazing selection of stuff I just have to get. Luckily the nearest one is 3hrs away:)

I found this most excellent deal for bike covers on eBay. Since the shipping was more than the cover I was a bit skeptical but I figured anything to be better than the old tent fly I had been using.
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up. I use it every day and despite the wet August we have had it has kept my bike dry in all but heaviest down pour. Even then it only let through about a teaspoon of water.
It easily covers my Dl650 with top case and Side bags.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Picture

I need to put a leash on my wallet every time I step into Princess Auto. They have an amazing selection of stuff I just have to get. Luckily the nearest one is 3hrs away:)

I found this most excellent deal for bike covers on eBay. Since the shipping was more than the cover I was a bit skeptical but I figured anything to be better than the old tent fly I had been using.
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up. I use it every day and despite the wet August we have had it has kept my bike dry in all but heaviest down pour. Even then it only let through about a teaspoon of water.
From the e-bay picture, it doesn't look like it would cover a top case and side bags. Could you post a picture of your bike covered with this item with topcase and sidebags mounted ?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the coolest things about Princess Auto is,..... the wife likes it just as much as I do! I end up dragging her out as often as the other way round:-D:-D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks identical to the $20.- WalMart cover that you can also buy under a dozen other names on ebay. I bet it's all from the same factory in China.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Additional Questions

Colin,

How long did it take you to receive your cover after you ordered it ? Did they send you an e-mail when it was shipped ? How many of those eyelets does it have for securing it from the bottom, one or two ?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I seem to recall that it took a bit longer for shipment than usual (3 weeks?) but can not remember specifics. I do remember that it arrived just wrapped in paper with shipping tape around middle and end to end.
The only email I got from them was in reply to a question I asked about shipping costs. I got a reply but it was in Chinese so I have no idea what it said.
There are two grommets, one on either side midway along the lower edge. The left hand one also has an elastic cord with a hook that attaches under the bike to the other grommet.
I have used my cover pretty much everyday since I got it last May and it still looks great.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Heavy Wind ?

There are two grommets, one on either side midway along the lower edge. The left hand one also has an elastic cord with a hook that attaches under the bike to the other grommet.
I hope just one set of grommets in the middle will keep the bike thoroughly covered in heavy wind.

On the old Covermax I currently have, the elastic eventually wore out on the bottom edge, but it has two sets of grommets(4), one pair in the middle and one pair in front that you can use to lash to the front wheel to help keep the bike covered--despite the worn elastic.

With just he one set of grommets in the middle, I wonder my new cover will expose the ends of the bike in heavy wind ? I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
So far the cover has been in several heavy (60 KPH) winds and has stayed on with no problem. The elastic in the hem hugs the front and rear wheels pretty good.
I am thinking though that if the elastic that goes between the grommets were to break it would come off. I had a skidplate that I took off so that elastic touches the exhaust now. It has held up surprisingly well so far though.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
D-Ring

So far the cover has been in several heavy (60 KPH) winds and has stayed on with no problem. The elastic in the hem hugs the front and rear wheels pretty good.
I am thinking though that if the elastic that goes between the grommets were to break it would come off. I had a skidplate that I took off so that elastic touches the exhaust now. It has held up surprisingly well so far though.
The elastic fastener that came with my Covermax started coming off and then the cover would blow off in the wind. So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those spring loaded D-ring fasteners to use instead. It works well, and I even figured a way to avoid getting on my knees and groping around for the far side of the cover fasten it. I tied a a short piece of nylon cord to the far side grommet and on the other end of the cord, I fastened a plastic shower curtain ring.

So now when I'm ready to fasten, I toss the shower curtain ring under the bike, walk around and pull the far side of the cover to the side with the aluminum D-Ring, and fasten.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Well we had 90KPH winds here yesterday and the elastic that connects the two grommets snapped. The cover stayed on but I'm not sure how. Time to invest in a heavier elastic and another hook unless I can find the old one.
I tied a a short piece of nylon cord to the far side grommet and on the other end of the cord, I fastened a plastic shower curtain ring.
I did something similar. I tied a bit of ribbon with a 5/8" nut on the end of it to the hook so that I could throw it under the bike and then grab it to get the hook on the grommet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts