StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has actually tried the $20 and less alarm systems out there? I've been thinking about installing one. Probably will end up with a $40 disc lock, but thought I'd check these first. I read the other threads on them, but no one has actually seemed to have any experience with these. Thanks a lot!

Motorcycle Alarm Immobilizer System With Remote Start: eBay Motors (item 120642445000 end time Nov-03-10 18:45:06 PDT)

NEW Alarm Security Immobiliser Motorcycle Bike Scooter: eBay Motors (item 270655285655 end time Nov-26-10 03:19:10 PST)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Alarms? :confused:

That's what wives/gf are for. Just make sure you get her a comfortable lawn chair! :mrgreen:

I was talking to my insurance agent about alarms. His response is that they are pretty much useless. Apparently, the preferred method for theft is a van with a few guys. The bike is gone in 20 seconds and inside the van, any alarms are dealt with a crowbar in another 20 seconds.

Cheap and cheerful wife-gaurds are better.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I was talking to my insurance agent about alarms. His response is that they are pretty much useless. Apparently, the preferred method for theft is a van with a few guys. The bike is gone in 20 seconds and inside the van, any alarms are dealt with a crowbar in another 20 seconds.
Search YouTube there is more than one security camera footage video showing exactly that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More for protection than theft

My bike lives in front of my house and I live across the street from a police station, so I'm not that worried about it being stolen, especially with the number of crotch rockets around-knock on wood- A few weeks ago, a bunch of drunk kids pushed my bike over breaking a turn signal, allowing water under the paint of a fair so now it is bubbling, and bent a bar end. I'm mostly just trying to find a device that goes off if someone moves it so it can get attention by me or the police if someone decides to mess with it again. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best defense against thieves is no chrome, lots of plastic, plenty of dirt, a ding or two, the smell of fuel and bald tires. At least, that's what has worked for me :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
T&J,

You can find the wholesaler for that alarm by going to "chinvasion"...just google it and you'll find it. Cost is less then 20, last year it was 14!

I've actually heard that its pretty loud but the motion switch was very touchy and like another member noted, most alarms are delt with inside a van with very loud music playing.
jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not worried about theft, trying to catch dumb kids

Thank JK and the rest for the help. I'm not worried about my bike getting stolen, I'm just trying to gain some notice if someone tries to flip or mess with my bike, that is my primary concern. If someone wants to steal my bike, they are going to. It is the dumb drunk kids I'm concerned about.

Any experience on how to prevent these kids from coming near the bike or with cheap alarms would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
My bike lives in front of my house and I live across the street from a police station, so I'm not that worried about it being stolen, especially with the number of crotch rockets around-knock on wood- A few weeks ago, a bunch of drunk kids pushed my bike over breaking a turn signal, allowing water under the paint of a fair so now it is bubbling, and bent a bar end. I'm mostly just trying to find a device that goes off if someone moves it so it can get attention by me or the police if someone decides to mess with it again. Thanks!
Dowco makes a cover alarm. $20. You can mount several. Pretty loud.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If the drunk kids in my neighborhood were messin with my bike, I would take several 2x4`s and drive a bunch of nails through them. Flip them spike side up and lay a close perimeter around the bike. A good two inches of sharp steel through a tennis shoe is NO FUN! If you wanted to be REALLY mean, spread some sort of feces on the nails and they might get gangreen as well as the ability to walk for a while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what I do with the campaign signs...

Every election season, people always start stealing my signs, so I take pins and put them around the edges. Probably doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel better. Makes people think when asked why hands are covered in little cuts...

I'd put the nails out, but Philadelphia gives you a $50 fine for any trash in front of your house, even if you didn't put it there! Trash cans can only be outside after 7pm night before trash day. It is ridiculous...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Seriously

LoJack for motorcycles or a GPS locator system are your best bet if theft is a real threat.

When I lived in an apartment complex, the average lifespan of a bike was 2 months before theft. I rented a 10X10 storage unit nearby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts