StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
www.dropbox.com/s/38kmzplszlkasdp/filters2.png

I suck at this img doesn't work for me

I am cheap and I resent what I consider gouging. The fact Suzi wants $45 for an air filter is ridiculous.

This is a chemically resistant plastic plate cut to fit the airbox with a Purolator 3916 airfilter. It is a Chevy filter and has almost 2 times more pleats and surface area than the stock Suzi. My bike runs great. I have seen 3916 for as little as $4 but everyday at Walmart for $6

I silicone glued the filter to the plate and I have great confidence it will last many years but for $6 I will be changing it regularly.

When time to change I will will cut through the adhesive and glue on a replacement.

If anyone is interested for the plate I want $20 plus postage just PM me.

Greywolf if it turns out to be a thing I will sign up as a Vendor

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking at your fabricated plate, I am concerned with the seal between the edge and the gasket. The oem filter has a ridge that is formed to fit the gasket.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overall thickness is the same their ridges vs the thickness of the plate

The overall thickness actually appears heavier and the airbox lid snugged down well on the gasket

·
Registered
832 Posts
False economy. And I've no love for part pricing trends, either.

The factory air filter does not require frequent replacement and can be refreshed with a careful blast of air. It is sold for ~$31.00 online at SHS. Or, spend $50.00, once, for a K&N.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Richw! Kudos to your true diy ethitic.I used to use alternate air filters and silicone to fill gaps on my Guzzi,s never had any troubles. I,ve found that the stock Suzuki air filter can be cleaned by raping the ridgid edges on a hard surface several times with a piece of white paper underneith to see what comes out, continue till nothing apears,contrary to the service manual of using compressered air.Am using mine to 15,000 miles,seams better than McGyvering them for a more than a few dollars, considering the damage that could be done if the job is botched.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i think it's fairly obvious that all vehicle manufacturers make the lion's share of their profits on parts, not the sale of the vehicle. try this on for size: try pricing every part on a DL and tell me if the total is less than $35,000.

frame fiche parts: ~$3600
crankcase: ~$1700
cowling: ~$1200
front wheel: ~$500
rear wheel: ~$1000
cylinder heads: ~$1500
throttle body: ~$1200

$10,700, and you have about 1/2 the bike, if that.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I shook and vacuumed my stocker but it was still gray afterwards

I assume the gray is fine dirt remaining and am unsure of what is the life and what is the method of failure or the effect on air flow from age/mileage.

Meanwhile the brandy new white as snow with MORE surface area 3916 is usually in service for the year and then another brandy new white as snow one will be installed in its place for $6

Doesn't sound false to me, and maybe my 60's mentality of sticking it to the man when they are trying to stick it to you.

If people did not seek out the cheapest gas station then ALL gas would be a dollar more at least.

cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
K&N, reusable , last air filter you'll ever buy if you maintain it. Not plugging the brand. Just the reusable idea. If there are others go for it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I tried the auto air filter. The pleats were so tall that they mashed together and restricted the air flow.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
K&N for me, and yes it has seen lots of dirt/dusty roads :thumbup:

Took it out at the last service, was dirty but no dust through it.
Cleaned, re-oiled and back in the bike!

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reg 3916 was ok

tough guard was better looking but pleats are 1/2 inch taller too tall

The finest dust went clean through the motor... IDK ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
K & N are the only filters I use! Air ,Oil ,Fuel ,CRANK CASE VENT

K&N Engineering has been designing, manufacturing, and enhancing High-Flow Air Filters for the automotive and motorcycle enthusiast interested in maximizing horsepower and acceleration. Since their humble beginnings they have designed and manufactured over 2,400 High-Flow Air Filters to fit most modern passenger vehicles and over 500 High-Flow Air Intake Systems to fit vehicles driven by enthusiast minded drivers. They not only have more applications than any other manufacturer of similar product, they invented the High-Flow category and the High-Flow Technology that supports it. K&N also makes thousands of racing and specialty type air filters and is the #1 Filter in NASCAR®.K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty® and Consumer

Protection Pledge

K&N warrants its street vehicle OE Replacement Air Filters for one million miles. When used properly and found to be defective, return your filter and the receipt from purchase and K&N will replace it free of charge. K&N’s Consumer Protection Plan goes one step further than its Million Mile Warranty. The performance aftermarket has, at times, been plagued by car manufacturers and automotive dealers that may attempt to discourage you from customizing your vehicle. They prefer you buy OE parts and not modify your car or truck and have even been known to void their own manufacturer’s warranty due to vehicle modification. That sounds un-American to us, which is why K&N and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protect consumers from such denied warranty claims. When you buy an OE replacement K&N High-Flow Air Filter or High-Flow Air Intake System you can be confident your vehicle’s warranty will remain in effect. If you experience a difficult dealership, K&N will resolve the issue so you won’t have to. The following summarizes the K&N Consumer Protection Pledge:

K&N pledges to our customers that they will not be taken advantage of and charged for a repair due to a dealership warranty denial blamed on the presence of a K&N product..

K&N makes The World’s Best Air Filter and they stand behind that claim 100 percent.

Engine Protection, Filtration

Anyone can flow more air. The trick is to flow more air safely. In our opinion we hit the sweet spot – an optimal blend of high air flow, filtration efficiency, durability and dust capacity. We take filtration seriously. K&N Air Filter media has been tested both in-house and by independent labs using the ISO5011 test developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers. In addition we test many of our filters both in and out of the OE airbox ensuring proper fit and function. Our goal is to design filters with the maximum possible airflow achievable while providing guaranteed engine protection.

The Importance of Oil

A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice.

Never Replace Your Air Filter Again

Handmade in the USA and in the United Kingdom using only the finest materials, K&N OE Replacement Air Filters are washable and reusable. Regardless of what you’ve heard, it’s almost impossible to wash your K&N Air Filter too much. Inside our testing laboratory, we have washed and re-oiled one K&N Air Filter more than 100 times and it still performs up to specification. Depending on your driving conditions, we recommend cleaning your air filter every 50,000 miles. To clean and re-oil, purchase our filter Recharger® service kit and follow the easy instructions.

Fuel Economy

Fuel economy testing and mileage claims are a tricky business. Just ask the EPA, whose website states, “EPA’s fuel economy estimates are designed to allow consumers to comparison shop. Your fuel economy will almost certainly vary from EPA’s fuel economy rating. This is based on a number of factors, such as weather, road conditions, your driving and maintenance habits, and your use of air conditioning.” A lot of exaggerated claims are made in the marketplace by products claiming to improve gas mileage. K&N makes no general fuel economy claims, however we encourage you to try our air filter for yourself. Keeping air filter restriction as low as possible can be an important tool, among others, for maintaining high mileage.

K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty® and Consumer Protection Pledge

K&N warrants its street vehicle OE Replacement Air Filters for one million miles. When used properly and found to be defective, return your filter and the receipt from purchase and K&N will replace it free of charge. K&N’s Consumer Protection Plan goes one step further than its Million Mile Warranty. The performance aftermarket has, at times, been plagued by car manufacturers and automotive dealers that may attempt to discourage you from customizing your vehicle. They prefer you buy OE parts and not modify your car or truck and have even been known to void their own manufacturer’s warranty due to vehicle modification.

That sounds un-American to us, which is why K&N and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protect consumers from such denied warranty claims. When you buy an OE replacement K&N High-Flow Air Filter or High-Flow Air Intake System you can be confident your vehicle’s warranty will remain in effect. If you experience a difficult dealership, K&N will resolve the issue so you won’t have to. The following summarizes the K&N Consumer Protection Pledge:

K&N pledges to our customers

that they will not be taken advantage of and charged for a repair due to a dealership warranty denial blamed on the presence of a K&N product..

I believe K&N makes The World’s Best Air Filter and They stand behind that claim 100 percent.

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Quoting a companies advertising claims for its product is not a good method for determining the value of a product as they can say anything. Personal experience counts for much more.

I used K&Ns on 5 bikes back in the 1970s and 1980s that did close to 250,000 miles combined with no problems. Here's a V-Strom that has exceeded 300,000 miles with a K&N filter. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/138729-300-000-mile-k3-dl1000-comprehensive-writeup.html

There have been some reports of dirty intakes using K&N air filters but I wonder if they were properly oiled or if the seal was less than perfect. A little silicone grease on the filter seal can't hurt.

·
Registered
944 Posts
i think it's fairly obvious that all vehicle manufacturers make the lion's share of their profits on parts, not the sale of the vehicle.
I'll need some data before I agree with that. I have never purchase more than normal consumables for our cars over the past 30 years (filters, wipers, etc.). While the margin percent may be high; the margin dollars are very low. Too low, it seems to me, the be the 'lion's share of profit' especially considering the aftermarket availability of such things.

·
Registered
824 Posts
read the K&N warranty
you'll find it does not apply to
"1.any type of racing...; 2. any off-road use...; 3.any off-road or dual sport motorcycle/ATV use;"
this from the warranty card that comes in the box with a K&N filter
still a good filter but no warranty for most of us

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I like the idea

I have an old filter I have kept, I might try and modify it to fit this Fram one you show, rather than cut a new plate, then the gasket placement should not be affected.... I too resent paying anything over 10 bucks for an air filter...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I like the idea

I have an old filter I have kept, I might try and modify it to fit this Fram one you show, rather than cut a new plate, then the gasket placement should not be affected.... I too resent paying anything over 10 bucks for an air filter...
I understand the sentiment. Buy bulk Uni green foam and make your own, that's what I did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
132 Posts
First, Richw, thanks for the great idea. I'm also a DIY type and will probably have a go at this next time (just replaced that damned expensive filter recently).
Second, for all you folks that gave him a hard time, WTF? Why you gotta hate?
Third, I agree with all who stated that K&N is a great air filter. Used them often in a variety of settings from RV's to sports cars, to motorcycles. I still see value in a disposable filter option that is cost-effective.
Finally, I haven't seen any reason so far to be excited about K&N oil filters. Maybe someone can share some data. You can't wash and reuse them, can you? Just because a good company puts their name on a product, that doesn't guarantee that it's a superior product. Based on research I did a few years ago, the very best oil filter out there was the Purolator PureOne. Unfortunately they don't make one to fit my Strom, so I do use the K&N myself. Mostly I choose K&N because of that neat wrench socket on the cap, makes changing it easier. Just to stir things up, I'll add that I use my K&N to filter my Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic (Diesel Truck) motor oil. All I've used in my last four bikes. It IS wet-clutch motorcycle rated, it's cheap, and I can buy it at WalMart.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
For most users the difference between a K&N filter and an OEM filter is negligible. OEM filter replacement intervals are great enough that nobody is going to go broke replacing them, and the initial cost of the K&N plus cleaning and oiling solution makes any financial advantage pretty thin unless you are keeping the bike for 100K miles, which few of us do.

Add to that the fact that there is a possibility of underoiling or overoiling the K&N (instructions are pretty sketchy) and the time and trouble involved and any perceived advantage seems to disappear.

And one final point: if your machine has a mass airflow sensor wire in the throttle body (my Corvette did, but I don't know about the Wee) the fine oil mist which a K&N filter necessarily releases can accelerate the accumulation of dust on the wire. So add to the K&N's cost the price of a can of MAF cleaner spray and the hassle of pulling the throttle body if necessary.

My recently-acquired Vulcan 1600 came with a K&N which I will keep just because I'm too cheap to buy a replacement OEM, I happen to have some K&N oil left over from a previous scoot, and I don't think it's actually a negative for the engine -- but I would never BUY one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts