StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apsley Ontario is not a big town, but there is a fine watering hole right downtown. A supermarket sells great ice cream, very near public washrooms that are clean and pleasant.

But the hit of the show is highway 620. I rode north to the start of 620, then east to 504, then 504 to 46, then south on 46 to my destination.

Highway 620 is really very special. The pavement is good, and the curves are sheer delight. Throw in a bunch of fine scenery, and about the only thing that can spoil it is a badly timed deer.

Fortunately, no deer showed up when I was there.

I did not complete the loop by taking 504 back to Apsley, but I bet that part of the road is also dandy.

I must ride this again, perhaps in the other direction.

Keith

P.S. While riding it, I thought about the Antarctic explorer Apsley Cherry-Garrard. He was indomitable, but forever bore the mental scars of his expedition. In July 1911 (winter down there, eh?) he and Wilson and Bowers hiked 150 miles in bitter cold and darkness, down below -60ºC. Cherry was stricken when, in November 1912, he came across the tent containing the bodies of Robert Falcon Scott as well as Wilson and Bowers. About the winter hike, Cherry wrote The Worst Journey in the World, good reading.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Was there last weekend. Some of the Amazons live up in that area. I love the roads around there. Nice twisties with excellent pavement.

Apsley Ontario is not a big town, but there is a fine watering hole right downtown. A supermarket sells great ice cream, very near public washrooms that are clean and pleasant.

But the hit of the show is highway 620. I rode north to the start of 620, then east to 504, then 504 to 46, then south on 46 to my destination.

Highway 620 is really very special. The pavement is good, and the curves are sheer delight. Throw in a bunch of fine scenery, and about the only thing that can spoil it is a badly timed deer.

Fortunately, no deer showed up when I was there.

I did not complete the loop by taking 504 back to Apsley, but I bet that part of the road is also dandy.

I must ride this again, perhaps in the other direction.

Keith

P.S. While riding it, I thought about the Antarctic explorer Apsley Cherry-Garrard. He was indomitable, but forever bore the mental scars of his expedition. In July 1911 (winter down there, eh?) he and Wilson and Bowers hiked 150 miles in bitter cold and darkness, down below -60ºC. Cherry was stricken when, in November 1912, he came across the tent containing the bodies of Robert Falcon Scott as well as Wilson and Bowers. About the winter hike, Cherry wrote The Worst Journey in the World, good reading.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Hi Keith,

We did the 504 section on our little ride July 6th. Then went up Old Hasting Road (which is gravel and I think an interesting ride) and had lunch in Bancroft.

504 is a nice little run! Haven't done 46 on the Strom but have done it a number of times in cars, mainly in winter.

I'm still itching to se the Marmora mine.. maybe I'll head over there very soon!

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Hey, I was there for that....wasn't I?
Throttlehound came in his Cruiser as well as Vladstrom on his Bandit. Ring any bells?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I just checked out the Apsley loop on the map and was surprised to see that it's not that far from my location (near Madoc). From what I'm seeing here it sounds like it's worth checking out. Me and the wee will try to venture up that way next week.

SS

·
Registered
806 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled and don't know. I brother has a large piece of property that butt's onto Old Hastings Road just south of Hwy 620 which I have a trailer on. I'm on those roads almost every weekend mostly with my pick-up though. Now that I have a V-Strom maybe I'll ride the Strom up and my wife can drive the truck with are the supply's?
Hey silverstrom, do you ride your RZ350 much? I guess we don't live too far apart.
Art

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
I was in Kingston Saturday with my son and then headed up to my Mom's in Wilberforce. I was with my son and I finally got to see the Maromora mine.. pretty neat place! It was at sunset so we didn't explore around any but said we'd come back some time.

We had a sub in Havelock and then headed up 46 and then 504 to Apsley. Wasn't on the bike but the roads are still a hoot in the Boxster!

Dyna road (further up hwy 28 ) is a lot of fun as well, as my 15 year old says "Sick!"

..Tom

I just checked out the Apsley loop on the map and was surprised to see that it's not that far from my location (near Madoc). From what I'm seeing here it sounds like it's worth checking out. Me and the wee will try to venture up that way next week.

SS

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm new to this forum but here's my input on a road in that area.I was going to Belleville from Muskoka,I've used all the usual routes so looked at my map and found a "shortcut"off 46 just past Oak Lake called Devils Four Mile Road.I missed the turn on the way south so on the way back from Belleville,headed north through Mamora on 3 and turned upVansickle road which is a nice backroad but it either deadends or you go down this Devil's Four Mile Road.It was built by the Devil,seemed a lot longer than four miles andwas not a road.Real bikers don't backtrack so off I went.Its more mud than gravel and I'm on sport touring tires.I did see some wildlife-a couple in a Jeep Wrangler working on some afternoon delight !Its a little road I would not recommend if it has rained recently.And it is not a shortcut to anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Okay, what does what mean?

..Tom
There was some funky spam crap just ahead of the message I posted. It was removed and I have since deleted my response. Once the spam was removed my message did seem kind of odd. Sorry for the confusion.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I was in Kingston Saturday with my son and then headed up to my Mom's in Wilberforce. I was with my son and I finally got to see the Maromora mine.. pretty neat place! It was at sunset so we didn't explore around any but said we'd come back some time.

We had a sub in Havelock and then headed up 46 and then 504 to Apsley. Wasn't on the bike but the roads are still a hoot in the Boxster!

Dyna road (further up hwy 28 ) is a lot of fun as well, as my 15 year old says "Sick!"

..Tom
Mikestrom and I planned on heading up to try the Apsley loop today. The plan was to take the same route you did via Havelock/46 to the 504. Unfortunately by the time we were ready to get underway the weather was crap so we did some local riding instead. I hope to get to do the loop soon.

SS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts