StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2 amp charger for many years. The vstrom has a sealed battery and I'm not used to that. How do I know how many hours are required for a monthly winter charge? It's been plugged in for about 4 hours right now. With my other bike I have a traditional battery that you can top up. I leave it on for 24 hours.

thanks, -Al

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Does the charger switch to trickle charging when it finishes charging?... Meaning it's a smart charger... If not, you can do the math... a 10amp battery charged from empty will take roughly 5 -6 hours to fully charge using a 2 amp charger... 4 hours should be good enough since you battery probably wasn't empty to begin with... It is just a rule of thumb... sealed batteries and non sealed batteries charge basically the same way, by the way...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Of course voltage is a reasonable indication of charge, but I'm guessing what your saying is you like to measure specific gravity of the fluid. I've found even though a battery is a "sealed" oone it's still possible to get the cell caps off. Thing is the volumn of liquid prolly is'nt enough to draw into a hydrometer... even the miniature ones for small batteries.

I think a 2 amp. charger, even a tapering charge one, is excessive for battery winter maintenance. Battry-Tenders are what I have... several and I just leave 'em on a couple days then remove for a week or so ...... not scientific formula... but it works for me.

dave

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link tmcgee. The charger is a Motomaster (Canadian Tire) from 1987 or so. Probably does not have the latest technology. Since the battery is sealed I didn't want to boil it and make it explode by leaving it on all night. I'm used to my old battery and not having to think about it...:yesnod:

I don't have a voltmeter either. It's supposed to be warm here on the weekend. I'm sure when I pop the battery in it will start right up and I won't have to charge it again.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a similar charger. For a one time charge I'll run it overnight. On the car battery I'll leave it on about twice as long. It's never boiled a battery.

If you want to run the 2 amp charger to maintain the battery over the winter, you could run it overnight on the battery once a month, or (and I've never tried this, but it seems reasonable) put the charger on a timer so that it runs for an hour a day.

A few years ago I picked up a battery tender junior at a bike show. The battery stays in the bike but I remove the leads from the battery, then leave the battery tender running all winter - works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts