StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd throw this follow up out there regarding the thread below.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-%5B-vee%5D/72125-possible-tps-problem.html

After replacing the reg/rec, I was still experiencing a charging system failure. Next step, new stator and new reg/rec. Both of those fried along with a new battery.

A thorough web search and consultation with Suzuki HQ led to an inspection of the charging rotor. Seems some of the magnets had come loose so it was screwing with everything in-line.

Three reg/recs, two stators, two batteries and a charging rotor later, we have success!
Good thing too because I was having some serious separation anxiety!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I just mounted an external alternator and forgot about it!

There are a LOT of reports out there now of the magnets coming loose in the Vee magneto rotors. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't have an effect on the life of the stator and R/R.

·
Registered
323 Posts
a lot of their atv`s have the same problems , seems to me they just don`t give a rats aaaaa ,you know :thumbdown:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just picked up the bike. I cannot say enough good things about John at Jett Tuning in Camarillo. Yeah, the bike was gone for 6 weeks because he wasn't going to give it back without it being right. He even had to utilize his contacts with Suzuki from his days with Matt Mladin's team.

But here's the icing, after the 20 or so hours of labor in diagnostics and repair...he charged me for only ONE set of parts and ZERO LABOR!!!

I'm telling all who'll listen, give him your business! Nobody else does that kind of customer service!

JETT Tuning - Welcome to JETT Tuning - performance for what you ride

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I just mounted an external alternator and forgot about it!

There are a LOT of reports out there now of the magnets coming loose in the Vee magneto rotors. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't have an effect on the life of the stator and R/R.
More info, please. And pics. :fineprint:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed...a very adverse effect on the reg/rec - not so much on the stator. Without the magnets in proper, equal spacing, the phase is off and fries the R/R's. Went through three before that anomaly was it was caught.

A bad bonding agent...poor application...or 7 years of wear? Not sure how to make that call.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts