StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you charge all of your device(s) on long trips?

I have a 12v accessory outlet and a usb adapter for charging my cell phone. However I also have a NIKON and a GoPro and my SENA that all will need charging.

I will be camping most nights (10 out of 16) so I won't always have a wall outlet at night

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not sure about the rest but I've charged my Sena overnight on my bike without issues. My 12V outlet is powered directly off the battery so I just plugged in the USB adapter and let it go.
You might consider putting another plug somewhere near the back of the bike (under the seat is a popular place) so you can run cords into any luggage you might have to charge them while you're riding.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just use a Battery Tender USB adapter right off the battery. was $10 off Amazon. Plug in and ride away.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I always pack 2 or 3 of these power banks.

They can only get my phone to 3/4, but still very handy when you can't find a place to charge on the road (or when it rains and you don't want to expose wires).
They sell them at the dollar store here, 3$ a piece.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be no concerns charging 2 devices at one time? I know these bikes don't have a lot of spare power. I actually have a spare lead I could setup to run to the rear of the bike.

Also, charging the SENA overnight with the bike off... this won't drain the battery?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
My GPS is hard wired to the battery.

I never use the power socket on my dash.

I fitted a power port in my top box, I can charge while on the move or while stopped and everything is secure.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,230 Posts
I use the RAVPower charger and it works superbly. It's with me everywhere I go. I can charge things (cell, pad, etc.) 6X before needing to recharge it. Highly recommended! I also have 12V wired switched to run the GPS and outlet for phone/iPod.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There should be no concerns charging 2 devices at one time? I know these bikes don't have a lot of spare power. I actually have a spare lead I could setup to run to the rear of the bike.

Also, charging the SENA overnight with the bike off... this won't drain the battery?
I charged both my phone and my Sena every day on a 10 day camping trip - after the bike was parked for the night. Never drained the battery...

·
Registered
788 Posts

People's experience can be a guide for this, but here is a simple calculation to show where charging 2 devices should get you.

Bike battery total energy at full charge, (a 14 Amp*Hour battery at 12.5 V average over the discharge curve at low current) : 14 AmpHour * 3600 seconds/hour * 12.5V = 630 thousand Watt*Seconds (aka Joules)

Cell phone battery energy at full charge, (a mondo 3000 mAH or 3.0 Amp*Hour battery at 3.7 V nominal) : 3 AmpHour * 3600 seconds/hour * 3.7V = 40 thousand Joules

If you had a perfectly efficient charger and the cell phone wasted no power when charging the battery (and if batteries gave back all the energy put into them), then your fully charged battery could charge 15.7 phones with mondo batteries. By the time you account for charger inefficiency, the phone dropping 5V down to 3.7 dissipatively, and batteries taking more energy to charge than they give up upon discharge, you have to adjust that phone count downward by a factor like 0.8 * (3.7/5) * 0.9 = 0.53, you are down to 15.7 * 0.53 = 8.3 phones. (The 0.9 figure for charge/discharge efficiency is conservative for low current discharge, such as when running little chargers.)

Start with a half-charged bike battery because your heated gear keeps the charging system from getting the battery to full charge on a long ride, and you could find that fully charging 4 dead phones overnight would nearly deplete the battery.

Did you say 2 devices? Unless they are much worse power pigs than a modern cell phone / wanna-be computer, you should still have plenty of energy left to get your bike started in the morning.

BTW, your Sena headset has a far smaller battery than a modern cell phone. It is of no consequence in this energy management issue.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I try to power everything off the bike if possible (gopro, smartphone, delorme inreach, TPMS, GPS), to reduce the battery dependency, but there are some things that cannot be helped like my DSLR battery and my headset battery. I also have a Nextto 500gb backup drive that runs on batteries, so that has to be kept charged. I mounted a charging setup inside my tank bag which works out pretty well.

I like the idea of running a cable into the top box for extra room, just be sure to use a waterproof plug so you can remove the top box easily if needed.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Microstart XP should be in every touring kit period. Charge your devics, start your bike, excellent flashlight and tiny.

I didn't bother wth a USB out port on the CBF1000 as I just keep the XP in the tank bag and the iPhone plugged in while it's being used for Nav on the bars. There is a TON of power in the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxMatJLkIk

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,230 Posts
Microstart XP should be in every touring kit period. Charge your devics, start your bike, excellent flashlight and tiny.
I carry the XP1 in a pannier or trunk in whatever vehicle I'm using and have used it several times to jump various cars, bikes and trucks plus charge devices and HP laptop. I use that for emergencies and the RAVPower portable USB pack for daily use. I agree it is another excellent product. I paid $89 for each of mine and now they're $140!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
I don't feel comfortable charging from the bike when it is not running. Just me, but like to keep that reserve there. I too have one of the larger Ravpower power banks. Amazing how many times it will charge the phone and it will charge the tablet too. I also have the Ravpower Solar Panel that I plug the power bank and/or phone into during the day when camping. You can always top off the power bank when overnighting at a hotel if the solar panel isn't convenient.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Start with a half-charged bike battery because your heated gear keeps the charging system from getting the battery to full charge on a long ride, and you could find that fully charging 4 dead phones overnight would nearly deplete the battery.
Heated gear alone shouldn't deplete the battery when at speed. fully attired with lots of idleing sure. If the battery is at half charge, it won't be sufficient to start the bike anyway so the cell phone would come in handy to call for a jump/tow.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts

I didn't bother wth a USB out port on the CBF1000 as I just keep the XP in the tank bag and the iPhone plugged in while it's being used for Nav on the bars. There is a TON of power in the device.

https://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxMatJLkIk
Totally agree with this!

They also come with a multi-plug that can charge several devices at once (assuming they have different plugs) and can take advantage of a cigarette lighter plug to charge themselves while you are riding.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Antigravity battery

It's great, model XP-3 kit in a zippered bag complete with 120Volt charger, 12Volt charger and USB multi-pronged adapter that for cell phones etc and the short 6 inch plug/cable to jump start a car or bike.
I've used mine for charging all my electronic toys and spare camera batteries.
I started a woman's Jeep one afternoon and she was very confused because I didn't use her booster cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWe6F5lrzyc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Which model are you using? I went to the Microstart website and see 4 models. I am looking for one which can jumpstart my car and motorcycle. Also one that can charge batteries for camera, laptop, tablet and mobile phone.

It's great. I've used mine for charging all my electronic toys and spare camera batteries.
I started a woman's Jeep one afternoon and she was very confused because I didn't use her booster cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWe6F5lrzyc

·
Registered
788 Posts
Heated gear alone shouldn't deplete the battery when at speed. fully attired with lots of idleing sure.
Just this last weekend I spoke with a fellow who wishes that were so. In fact, with his heated gear running, and a device installed which switches the gear off at about 2/3 to 1/2 along the battery discharge curve, his gear is off enough that he is looking for more ways to reduce power needed by parts of the stock system.

If the battery is at half charge, it won't be sufficient to start the bike anyway so the cell phone would come in handy to call for a jump/tow.
Batteries with the lead-acid chemistry are sized with capacity many times what is needed to start the bike once (or several times.) They are oversized with respect to capacity to get internal resistance reduced enough to supply cranking current. (This is why LiFePo4 batteries for the same service typically have lower capacity. They do not need the same oversizing in order to supply cranking current because the materials have higher conductivity.)

I can also say, from personal (and disappointing) experience that my Wee will start fine with the battery close to the end of its discharge curve. For a variety of reasons, the battery can end up reaching equilibrium somewhere in the middle of the curve rather than at the fully charged end. (This I have also personally observed, although I would state as much from theoretical consideration alone.)

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Which model are you using? I went to the Microstart website and see 4 models. I am looking for one which can jumpstart my can and motorcycle. Also one that can charge batteries for camera, laptop, tablet and mobile phone.
The XP 5,which is the smallest and lightest one they make, can do all that depending on the engine size. The others are bigger and have even more capacity:

Micro-Start XP-5

Personal Power Supply & Jump Starter

The Micro-Start XP-5 “MINI” is the world’s smallest Jump Starter and Personal Power Supply. In fact it is the size of Smart Phone, yet has so much power it can start your Motorcycle, any Powersports vehicles and even V6 trucks!!! But not only can it jump-start your vehicles, it can also charge any of your USB powered devices such as Smart Phones, iPads, Tablets, Go Pro Cameras, Blue Tooth Devices, and more. It has 6000mah of capacity and has a peak of 300 amps for jump starting!
..Tom

1 - 20 of 40 Posts