StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying this https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Starter-Portable-External-12000mAh/dp/B01MDUQRSO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545700234&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+car+jump+starter+%26+portable+power+bank and using it to charge batteries and phones at night in the tent. During the day can I charge this if I run a fused wire from the battery?

Would an XT250 be able to charge it as well?

Seems like a great idea to have a back up incase of a dead battery as well as a great battery bank for charging stuff.

Whatchall think!?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The specification says 12V/ 1A. If true that would be only about 15W assuming your charging system runs about 14V. 15 W should not be a problem for almost any bike. After you got the unit I would try to measure if it's really just 1A charging amperage, to be sure.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Charging will take a while but it will work. I recharged the battery in Go Pro clone and it took hours with the Costco jump starter battery and just about drained it.
Charging items like this battery jumper is why you may like a 12v power outlet on the bike.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have this one but it is quite a bit heavier (4 lbs.). Fine for gas cars and trucks but marginal for our F350 6.7L diesel. It started a F150 Eco 3.5 right up several times. Luckily, the F350 has two large batteries. More than match for any motorcycles. Enough capacity to charge a lot of stuff.

NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B016UG6PWE&pd_rd_w=FbFrW&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=78KfA&pf_rd_r=KFS3SYWJAQRG8QG63JJV&pd_rd_r=18442160-07f9-11e9-ba5f-4d00cf6be912

Reactions: elChilly

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I have something similar, the microstart xp-3. I charge it occasionally at home though it has provisions for 12 volt charging as well. I keep it around as backup but it would be handy to power devices when camping etc. several different models depending on your needs. They have one model they claim will start a 7.3 l diesel.

https://themicrostart.com/xp-3/

·
Registered
452 Posts
I may be weird but I first read the 1 star reviews on Amazon before jumping to the 5 stars. I would have a dead battery in something around the garage to test these things before I ordered one. That way if it doesn't work I am within the window to return it. Almost all the 1 star folks said it worked once or twice and never again. Or worked once and would not recharge. And it was too late to send it back for a refund. Just sayin....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read the 1 stars too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed a dual usb/12v ciggylighter on my dash and it's been super helpful.

I like the idea of having power in the tent to charge phone, camera batteries aaand be able to jump the wee if needed. These products have that advantage over a basic battery bank like from Goal 0.

I'd always leave home with the battery full, but I like the idea of it being in my top case and getting re-charged all day while riding.

Thanks for the links and suggestions y'all.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I may be weird but I first read the 1 star reviews on Amazon before jumping to the 5 stars. I would have a dead battery in something around the garage to test these things before I ordered one. That way if it doesn't work I am within the window to return it. Almost all the 1 star folks said it worked once or twice and never again. Or worked once and would not recharge. And it was too late to send it back for a refund. Just sayin....
I have had a bit to do with these mini jump starters (MJS) and I have quizzed a lot of family and friends and I have come to this conclusion.

If the voltage is allowed to get too low they are unlikely to recover and they become a paper weight, this maybe why some people get good results and some get poor results.

Just how low is too low I'm not sure.

If they are used to start a vehicle and that vehicle starts easily all will be good but if the load on the MJS is too great you can kiss it good bye.

I used one to start a car that was showing 10.2v and it fired right up and the MJS charged back up fine.

I used that same one to start a V6 car that had no dash lights showing, the car started but the MJS never recovered, in fact it nearly caught fire while on charge.

I kept one under the seat of my bike, after about 6 months I tested it and it was only showing 5v (should have still been full) when I put it on charge the charger never showed full and it too expanded and split open the cover and got so hot fire was eminent.

Talking to friends they all tell the same stories, if they have been worked hard they never recover.

Because I have been so close to having 2 catch fire I don't trust them but I do believe if they are treated & maintained properly they are a handy gadget but I would limit it to small loads & starting bikes only.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
"in fact it nearly caught fire while on charge."

Great Gobs, something to take into consideration when using these things.
The daughters Honda battery was so down the jumper wouldn't help but it didn't seem to be drained of life at the attempt. Maybe some units have better sensing circuits that prevent it from dying while trying to work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A lot of these portable jumper packs, the negative and positive are connected directly to the battery, because it needs to allow very high draw for brief periods. However, most are lithium batteries because its compact and power dense. Problem is, lithium batteries absolutely hate being completely discharged, so much so it often destroys them (your phone will power off long before that happens).

I think a lot of people will just sit there trying to crank it to the point the battery is entirely depleted, killing the battery. Although, some better designs do have low voltage protection, but some cheaper ones do not in addition to lower quality batteries, so be wary.

·
Premium Member
5,211 Posts
My Microstart Xp3 has been wonderful travelling and starting a few vehicles but it is expanding now in its case so don't trust it anymore for safety. Also love the flashlight and use it for the phone all the time. Certainly got value for money

I like their technology .....I suspect it's better now. Any other brands to consider.??

.. I may want something a bit bigger to charge my laptop in a pinch USB-C might make it easier.

Certainly will stick with name brands tho.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
I have had a bit to do with these mini jump starters (MJS) and I have quizzed a lot of family and friends and I have come to this conclusion.

If the voltage is allowed to get too low they are unlikely to recover and they become a paper weight, this maybe why some people get good results and some get poor results.
What unit did you have? I have a suspicion the cheaper clones might not have the same protection built in for the lithium ion battery. (I have an Xp3 as well but have never had tojump start anything.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It was a few years ago I got mine and at that time every brand was selling the same unit they just had different stickers on them and of course different prices.

When I look around now at least they are different externally but I would suspect most share the same internals ???

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
The Duracell jumper I bought doesn't seem to work as well as the Winplus i got at Costco for 30 bucks less.
The Winplus is a smaller package to carry in the trunk of the bike too.
They recharge plugged into the outlet socket of the car or the bike. i use a splitter on the bike so I can run my GPS while recharging the jumper.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
60$ us for a no name 500A is too high.

I got a 750A motomaster eliminator for barely over that. A reputable brand from a well established store, good warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you're looking to charge your devices in the tent as your primary use case, get a dedicated device. I use a 26,000 mAh device that will charge a normal cell phone 4ish times before its empty. Its all about the size of the battery storage vs the size of the one you're recharging. Most of these devices will recharge (slowly) via a 12V port on your bike while you ride. You can probably even go a few days between charging this battery if needed.

Anker is a highly rated brand.
Anker 26,000 mAh Battery Bank

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
This is all good to know. I bought an off-brand (Type S) unit to keep in my car around Christmas time. Checked it today after reading this article and it required about 30 minutes to top off. There must be some tiny drain as I estimate it was down about 10% after only three months.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Yah, it helps to push the button and see what the level of charge is once in a while. Especially before starting out on a trip.

·
Administrator
6,159 Posts
When you need one of these you need to to be fully charged. I would not bother with one unless it was connected to charge with ignition on. It should fit quite comfortably under the seat. Fit and forget - until you need it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts