StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I was having problems when starting the bike, when already warmed up, it would seem to die out, like the power went dead for a second, then crank up. Would always cold start with no power lag or other problems however

Had the battery replaced 2 years ago, off the shelf at a batteries plus store, AGM replacement. At the time they said it did not need to be charged prior to using it, so it went right into the bike..

Since the replacement, the same problem has recurred intermittently. If it had been sitting in the store for a few months and I didn't fully charge it before using it, could that cause premature failure? I did take it back to have it load and they said it was fine.

The bike is now sitting at a supermarket parking lot, battery completely dead.. I had stopped to pick up something for the wife, "no good deed goes unpunished" as they say....At least I have roadside at $10 for the year

If it did require a full charge prior to use, you would think a store that sells nothing but batteries would have known that, right?

Update>> Just got the bike back home. 13 resting volts, drops to zero when you turn the key on

·
Registered
331 Posts
"13 resting volts, drops to zero when you turn the key on"

Can you get your meter probes on the base of the battery terminals where they enter the battery case and make this measurement again?
Might just be a loose or corroded connection, otherwise that battery is toast.
Charging a new battery before installation is always a good idea if at all possible.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Alzheimer's prevents me from explaining it but I did hang on to a trickle charge before use.

All my batteries get a 1 amp over night charge before put into use

I remember that there were SEARS diehards for bikes that were sealed and they too would die in 2 years.

Buy a YUASA from a busy place like Bikebandit, when in, then check voltage etc. when charging.

I even like the Walmart where YOU put the acid in and they haven't been sitting for X years turning to crap on the shelf

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up with an Extreme Magna Power sealed AGM from a local auto parts store..They told me it was an exact replacement and fully charged. Not true on both counts

Based on the manufacturer info, it needs to be 12.8 or higher(after sitting for 24 hours) 12.6 equals a 75% charge. This was 12.7. I charged it before installing..

That I expected, what I didn't think about though, while it was an exact physical size, the terminal blocks were much bigger so I had to alter the factory connectors to lie flat, they no longer have the lip that secures them to the terminal.. probably shouldn't have done that.

I had 13 volts this morning after sitting all night

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
You don't need to charge a SLA battery before use. If it's going flat overnight you have something draining it most likely check your bike electrics.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Sealed Lead Acid battery. Two types are VRLA, valve regulated lead acid, where the flooded cell battery is sealed except for a high pressure relief valve, and AGM, absorbed glass mat, where the battery acid is absorbed into the glass mat plate separator material. AGM have the advantage of being highly vibration resistant; both are spill proof. Neither allows for the addition of distilled water 'cuz they don't allow the water to vaporize out of the battery's electrolyte solution. The Wal*Mart batteries, and many others, where the buyer puts in the acid, lets it absorb into the mat, and charges before installation has an advantage of not losing any life due to sitting pre-filled in a warehouse or retailer's shelf before being put into service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts