StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of going to the dealer and paying crazy high prices for tires,does anyone do it themselves if so what equipment are using and how long does it take you to do including dismounting,balancing the whole nine yards?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coats 220?

Great information where i had my tires changed they used that exact machine what did that cost you?and where did you get it?

A

·
0 Posts
The coats can be expensive but is a good solid machine. I have the tire machine you get from Harbor Freight. It cost about $90 for the base and motorcycle tire adapter. It helps "get R done". It is easier with a second set of hands.

The other thing you need is some way of balancing the tire. A simple stand to hold the wheel with the axle does the trick.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Careful of those rotors!

When changing tires, it's a toss up. Do you remove and then later retorque the brake rotors? Or do leave 'em on and hope you don't destroy them.

I see lots of pictures of tires being changed with the rotors still on the wheel and I don't think that's very smart.

I warped one a long, long time ago by letting the wheel flop over on the concrete floor. I will never change a tire again without removing the rotor(s) from the wheel. You do it your way but I am never going to warp a 200 dollar rotor again by smacking it with a tire iron or the floor.

Just felt like sharing. Now get out there and change your tires!!

A

·
0 Posts
brake disk

You do need to be carefull of the disk but there really isn't any reason to remove it/them. The tire changing machine holds the rim up enough the disk won't touch anything. The only place you need to support or pad the disk is while using the bead braker. Then all that is needed is a couple 2 X 4's to hold the wheel up off the ground.

Here is the tirechanger
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34542

Here is the motorcycle tire adapter
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42927

·
Registered
441 Posts
New Bead Breaking Tool, very cool

Hey tire changers out there...

I have been changing my own tyres for years and I don't know about you, but breaking the bead of tubeless tyres has always been the only hard part.
I've broken beads with c-clamps, car jacks, even another bike's side stand.
Everyone of these methods has it ups and downs.

Today I used a tool called the Bead Popper. It's essentially a wide, plastic chisel that you hit with a dead blow hammer or large rubber mallet. It rocks. I broke the beads on a nice wide Interceptor rim very quickly and easily. As they say in Maine, this tool is wicked clevah. I heard a rumor that Whitehorse Press will be carrying these in their next catalog but if you want one now, get it from the manufacturer directly.

http://www.racetools.com/popper.html

Sometimes the simple method of doing something is the best.

Jeff

V

·
0 Posts
Tire Changing

Hi,

I recently had to put new sneakers on my '03 Strom & purchased Tourances from an internet/mail order place in either Arizona or New Mexico. They had the cheapest prices & no sales tax or shipping charges for 2 tires. That was the good part. The bad part was none of the local motorcycle dealers (4) in my town would change the tires if you didn't buy from them, because they claimed since they didn't know the source of the tires they didn't want the potential liability. However they would gladly sell me the identical tires that I was trying to get installed. After a few calls, I found a local repair shop that changed & statically balanced them for $15.00 ea. This was a bargain compared to doing it by hand. Their machine was made specifically for motorcycle tires. I was impressed.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
441 Posts
tire changing

Hey there!

If you can find someone to properly mount and balance for $15 each, and it's not a chore to get there and back again, that's great. I bet lots of us would want such a deal.

I don't think it's much work to change tires by hand. Plus it's convenient and satisfying to do the work wherever and whenever you want to. If you see someone grunting and sweating and pulling very hard on long tire irons, they're doing it wrong. It's all about technique and not brute force.

Now that I have found a small, light, inexpensive tool that quickly breaks tubeless tire beads, I don't think I will ever let anyone change a tyre for me again. Not counting removing and reinstalling the wheel from/onto the bike I can swap a tyre in maybe 20 minutes. And when I am finished I know it was done correctly.

Now get out there and wear out those new tyres. Buy new tyres and repeat. ;-)

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts