StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2012 Wee in March this year and she now has 9K miles. the manual says to change out the coolant at 7500. Oops, missed that I guess. So, my question is - do I actually change the entire coolant, or top it off if needed? I'm a girl who takes things literally, but maybe I only need to top off the tank? Any advice from those in the know?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I didn't read my manual, but, I think it's the same no matter your gender. :confused:
If it says to change it, it means empty and refill. You aren't hurting anything by not changing it at 7500. That number seems a bit arbitrary to me. Hope this helped!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
According to the book if it's green it gets changed at 7500 if it's blue it gets changed at 14500. Mine's overdue also but I'm not too worried about it.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
I change mine at every valve check(15K). Most antifreeze is good for 2 years or so.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Long life coolant in automobile are supposed to be good for 200,000 km and 5 years. In my car it has 267,000 km now (8 years) and i wont change it. Body of the car will fail before the motor.
Our 2012 VStrom have extra long life coolant i think.
It's like for the spark-plug, Suzuki maintenance schedule is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I wouldn't call it "ridiculous", though I think it is a bit pessimistic on the life of Iridium plugs. As for coolant, there's less than two litres of the stuff and even the long life gear does break down eventually. If it's in the warranty period, stick to the schedule just to make any claims easier if nothing else. If not ... do what makes you feel comfortable, it's your bike.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Coolant is easy to change and a very good idea early on. The first coolant change will get rid of casting material left over, bits of rubber from the new hoses etc. Fresh clean coolant will keep the water pump happy and the corrosion in check.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The corrosion inhibitors in the coolant become depleted with time. 2 years is prudent with normal stuff, and 5 years is likely good with long life coolant. I use Zerex Asian Engine coolant with a five year life.

Nobody knows why Suzuki has such short maintenance periods on many items. I know of no reports of any failure relating to extending some of the periods out to the usual intervals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts