StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of a move and my owners manual is packed up.

I was fiddling with the controls and accidentally switched temperature units to Celsius.

How to why switch it back to Fahrenheit question mark

I tried every combination I could think of.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Turn on ignition
Use left handlebar button to toggle to the trip 1 fuel consumption setting.
Hold in button on instrument cluster for two seconds until it changes to MPG US.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Turn on ignition
Use left handlebar button to toggle to the trip 1 fuel consumption setting.
Hold in button on instrument cluster for two seconds until it changes to MPG US.
While that is right, my suggestion would be to learn the metric (read: sensible) system since it actually makes sense...
That just may be the Canadian and European in me though...

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
255 Posts
While that is right, my suggestion would be to learn the metric (read: sensible) system since it actually makes sense...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
When I was doing woodworking, I wished the plans I was working on were metric. Just reading a tape measure and playing with 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 drove me buggy. Then divide by two to find a center. I still haven't developed a feel for Celsius, high kph numbers or liters/100km though.

·
Administrator
13,374 Posts

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free
I'm German by birth and I was raised in Canada at the time where metric was brought into Canada and am comfortable with both systems (well actually there are three: Metric, Imperial and USA American.)

A lot of metric makes some sense, but some of it just doesn't.

Kilopascals? Can you relate to them? PSI seems more sensible to me for tire pressure. And I don't think anyone today anywhere used Metric Wheel sizes.. Diameters are in inches.

How about temperature? One degree F is about the smallest range that most people can discern in a temperature change. If you had your home thermostat swinging one degree C then it would be too far for most people and they might feel warm and then cool as it swings. Half a degree C defeats the whole purpose but one degree F is

The length of a foot is a very human scale. It is a useable unit that makes sense in the real world. A Centimeter is too small for most people sized measurements, and a Meter is too big and no one uses a decimeter.

And why is a length measurement that was originally tied to one quarter of earth's (polar) circumference more valid than a foot or a mile? Why does that choice make sense?

I'm very comfortable with KPH and find it easy to relate to travel times as we tend to drive at speeds around 100 kph so 1,000 km is roughly ten hours. But I'm also very comfortable with 60 mph being a mile a minute. (Of course 60kph is a km per minute but that isn't a realistic speed for travel in a Motorcycle or car.)

..Tom

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think in Canada we're just resigned to using both. I do quite a bit of construction, and since we share the same building code and materials market as the US, everything is in feet and inches. Yet you can't legally buy anything in pounds, because a kg is the legal unit of trade. Regulations also state clearances, dimensions, etc in metric, which you then have to build to using lumber and bricks sold by the foot. Similarly, most everyone I know reports their own height and weight in feet and pounds, which then gets converted to metric on your ID and medical records.

But all Canadians are comfortable with km and km/h for highway travel.

It's sort of like official bilingualism. We are an accomodating yet schizophrenic people.

·
Administrator
13,374 Posts
Dangit...I was hoping this was a thread about someone changing out the temperature probe for one that is near accurate
Mine's pretty accurate when moving, about as accurate as any I have had in any car.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
Mine's pretty accurate when moving, about as accurate as any I have had in any car.
Mine is 5F high. So was the 5 function meter in the Wee. As long as It's consistent, I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, got it back to Fahrenheit.

I was raised a scientist and then much more familiar with metric for all measurements except for temperature. For some reason, I still relate better to Fahrenheit.

I really like to be able to tell the difference between 101 and 107, here in El Paso! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
38,048 Posts
I can't believe you dug up a six year old thread to bitch about. >:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts