StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Strommers,

Need to change the oil in my Strom soon. This is more of a question for the BC crowd, but any input is welcome.

So as an aprtment dweller in Downtown Van, is it cheaper to change the oil myself, or when all is said and done is it better to have a shop do it?

I'm thinking in terms of finding a place to dumo the used oil, and how long it takes to change oil in the Wee. I've worked on autos a lot, but this would be my first time with a bike.

I do like the idea of self reliance, but then there is the point that when you add up all the time, effort, etc, its better to go too shop and just get it over with.

Thanx for the input!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do it yourself.

I am also an apartment dweller :)

I have a parking spot in the underground garage and leave an oil drain pan and my current gallon of used oil in the garage. Pop the drain pan under, drain the oil, spin off the old filter, spin on the new one, dump in new oil and clean up. 15-20 minutes and finished. If you get a shop to do it, you'll either have to leave the bike with them for a day, or stand around and wait till they can get to the bike for you.

I just leave the oil drain pan and gallon of used oil in the garage. If anyone wants to steal it, they can go ahead.

Disposal is easy since Canadian tire usually has a large metal tank for oil. I asked at the local store near my place and they said, just drop off the used oil in a sealed container next to the tank, and they'll drain it into the tank when they next dump their own used oil. No charge for that either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ditto. I have a small filter wrench and a centre-stand so the whole thing takes 15 - 20 mins. I buy a Suzuki filter and 3 litres of Mobil1 synth oil. There are several places around town who will take your used oil. If your bike is new, remember to keep the receipts and mark the change in your warranty book.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
984 Posts
DIY oil change

As an ex m/c service tech with 25 yrs exp I say go for it. Anyone who owns a bike needs to know how to perform basic maintenance on their machine. You will get to know your mount intimately and enjoy a real sense of competence in your mechanical abilities. That way if you breakdown in the middle of no where instead of pissing your pants you just get down to fixing the problem and get yourself the hell out of there. Been there, done that, felt good about it. You will too.

JStrom

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
DIY, I get my filters at NAPA, the NAPA gold filter is around 9 clams canuck. Maybe you can drop your oil at a local garage, or Cdn Tire?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
vfxdept, make arrangements to drop off the bike in Squamish where you work. It will be done and waiting for you at the end of the day. Diamond Head Yamaha is just a stones throw from Tim Hortons and easy to find. They service most brands but give them a little lead time to get the right filter if it is needed.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Try doing it yourself....I have always done all my cars and bikes.

On many occasions I have found small problems that could have turned out to be big ones, if I didn't spot it during the oil change. I have found small leaks, loose bolts missing parts over the years, stuff I never would have noticed had I not poked around while doing oil change.

Ron W.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do it yourself, most bike shops charge way too much for an oil change.
There is a filter install tool you can get from Suzuki for about $10 which makes it easy to remove and install the filter.
Rub a little oil on the new filter gasket before you put it on.
After you have spun the new filter on by hand it take 2 full turns with the ratchet to tighten it.
The old oil will drain better if the engine is warm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice!

Appreciate all the input. Sounds like the changing itself is not a big deal.

I'll just have to check on where to dump the oil.

Thanx all, and ride safe!

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
Most garages will have a facility to send the oil to a recycling place. Ask them nicely and they likely will take you oil.

..Tom

Appreciate all the input. Sounds like the changing itself is not a big deal.

I'll just have to check on where to dump the oil.

Thanx all, and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Canadian Tire will let you ...

I changed my oil at the Canadian Tire Store in Richmond BC. I asked the folks in the service area if they would lend me a pan and take the used oil, provided I bought some oil in the store and changed it right there in their parking lot.

They were delighted to help me, and they will probably be just as cordial to you too. Remember to take your filter and its wrench to CTC with you, and do not count on buying the oil filter wrench there (but you might succeed). It's a good idea to use a six-point socket on your oil drain plug, because repeated use of an open-ended wrench will likely round the plug off and make it difficult to remove and install.

See, you get Vancouver-specific help from the oddest places, don't you?

In fact, right now I am in Toronto Ontario and preparing to ride to Newfoundland next month.

Changing your own oil is a good way to save money and get acquainted with your bike.

Best of luck!
Keith

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Other than hitting the starter button, changing oil is just about the easiest thing you can do on a bike.

Follow the tips in this post and it should be a piece of cake.

Make a project of it and also go over the lube points that are mentioned in your user manual. Do your chain at the same time.

I Usually just pour the used oil back into the original containers and take them to either one of a couple of service stations or the dump (sorry waste transfer station) which also accepts used oil for recycle.

Check recyling in your yellow pages. There must be lots of places out there that will accept used oil. Even in our neck of the woods, pop 10,000+/- for the whole area, there are at least six that I can think of.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
D-I-Y Maintenance

I'll concur with the group. Even with initial outlay of $ for basics the knowledge you gain by doing even the simple things yourself is worth it, along with the $ you save in time, travel to the dealer etc etc. Beside - I think most people will tell you working on your ride is extremely theurapeutic and satisfying, whether it's doing the oil or anything else. There are not many things left where you can actually maitain or fix these days.

If I could offer a couple of tips - they work for me - 1) if your not sure, this is a great palce to ask, 2) the owners manual offers a wealth of information and 3) make notes of the steps for more complex procedures and in some cases, I take pictures of assembled parts with my digital camera - nothing like a picture to help remember the parts and their order.

re: getting rid of old oil - all the previous suggestions are great but around here you can also recycle used motor oil at the local hazardous waster facility which is open weekends. Not a bad deal.

Safe riding,
Bob

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
be care full when tightening drain plug

i have read of people striping the drain plug by over tightening,get it snug then just i tiny bit more,use a small wrench rather than a long one so you cant over do it,i suggest after draining the oil with a warm engine,do the drain plug up snug ,add oil ,but wait till the motor cools a bit before finally tightening the bolt,i think i have seen on here half a dozen people who have striped the threads by over tightening the drain plug[re check that its still tight after a short ride]

·
Registered
984 Posts
DIY oil change

So, have you done it yet? Just did my 500 mile oil change and it must've taken all of 15 minutes. Most auto parts stores and quick change places down here in the states take used oil and I assume its the same up your way. Oh, by the way, I used to live in Prince George and thats where I bought my first bike in 1976. I do all my own repairs and maintenance from replacing a bulb to rebuilding a crankshaft. I'm an expat Canuck and have been living in the states for 15 years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In my area our town dump has a drop off for vehicle fluids one day per week. I normally save my oil in the old containers until the end of the season and then take them in. Check with your local waste management department.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did my first oil change myself but I am taking it to the dealer to have the rest of the "first service" stuff done. ..Torquing bolts. chain adjust, etc...
Changing your oil is easy with these spin-on filters. (I take the used oil to Canadian Tire), compared to my last bike - remove headers, take of oil filter cover, fish out oily old filter, replace it, fiddle with new o-ring (which doesn't want to stay in groove), yada,yada, yada.

I think most people (unless your hopelessly non-mechanical) should buy a good torque wrench, download a FREE shop manual and go over the bike yourself. It gives me peace of mind to know IT WAS DONE! You never know what a shop is doing for the money they charge, especially this time of year when they are so busy. Mostly doing assembly and pre-delivery after receiving pressure from salesman to get er done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts