StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a long trip next week and would like to know what is a good place for me to stop and drain my oil? Side of the road? Rest stop parking? Most places I am thinking of (hotel parking lot, shopping center parking, dealer parking, etc ) are private property. Thank you...

·
Administrator
17,232 Posts
How long of a trip.....more than 6000 miles? If not I wouldn't worry about it at all, just take a little bit extra with you in case you need to top off. If you are gonna be going further than that, many seem to do it in a Walmart parking lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big B, I like both of your suggestions. Trip will be 4k miles but my oil is already 1500 miles old.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Walmart will work. Here in Canada I've done it at Canadian Tire stores. The guys there will even give me the tools and will take the old oil and empty containers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, changing oil now will save hassle later. Oh well, hate to waste oil.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yep. Change it at home and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I changed my oil a few weeks ago in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I had my own tools. Didn't mess with the filter. Bought 3 qts of Rotella and an aluminum turkey basting pan. Parked the bike next to the used oil tank in the "TLE" parking lot. Drained the oil out. Replaced the plug, poured the new oil in. Then went back in the store and signed the log sheet for dropping off used oil. No muss, no fuss and I was back on the road... Got the idea from a ride report on ADV.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
dumping your oil ?

Sorry, but I have to ask. When you do oil changes at home do you just dump the oil on your property?
If you do a change on a trip, please at least recycle it at any kind of service location.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course I was planning to recycle. You thought I was just going to drain oil on a parking lot.:headbang:

·
Administrator
17,232 Posts
I say to leave it in and go on your trip, do the change when you get back. Worry less and ride more!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask. When you do oil changes at home do you just dump the oil on your property?
It's free at the city dump here. There I also recycle radiator fluid, old gas, paints, any houshold hazardous waste.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd leave the oil change until you return. You say you have currently ridden 1500 miles since your last oil/filter change; doing 4k more won't work the oil that hard, especially if the road trip miles will be highway miles with the engine working at constant revs and temperature. It will definately handle 6k between changes.. The hardest miles on motor oil are the 'stop/go/stop/go' type of miles typically encountered on city commutes. In any case, engine manufacturers ALWAYS err on the side of caution and recommend changing consummables well before they need to be changed..

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Trip will be 4k miles but my oil is already 1500 miles old.
What oil is in it now? If you have a conventional oil, I'd drain and refill. If you have a motorcycle-specific synthetic or a diesel engine synthetic oil, ride and enjoy. Carry some extra or buy a quart along the way for top off if you're doing a lot of high speed riding.

·
Administrator
17,232 Posts
What oil is in it now? If you have a conventional oil, I'd drain and refill. If you have a motorcycle-specific synthetic or a diesel engine synthetic oil, ride and enjoy. Carry some extra or buy a quart along the way for top off if you're doing a lot of high speed riding.

It makes so little difference if any, that it isn't worth worrying about "at all".

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I ride my bike pretty hard and aggressive most of the time and I alway use Synthetic......but I still change it every 2,500 miles.

Fingers crossed....but hopefully the Alaska trip will happen next summer. It will be 8,000 miles, round trip. We are planning to change the oil and filter, using top grade synthetic just before departure.....then change it in Fairbanks (after running up to Dead Horse). Just one oil change, with top-offs. I suppose that will be about 4k miles an OCI. I am very comfortable with that.

We plan to change the oil in the autoparts store parking lot. If we have to buy a cheap oil drain pan for $5....we will. I plan to haul the oil right back in the store for recycling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts