StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for the oil to drian as I type this, I bought the oil, new filter and a compression washer. (at the suggestion of the counter agent)

Does the oil plug come from the factory with a compression washer? There seems to be one, but if it is one it does not seem to want to come off.

Any suggestions?

Would I be safe just putting the plug back in as is?

Rookie questions, but this is my first time through this....

Thanks
DavidLSI

·
0 Posts
The oil drain plug does come with an aluminum crush washer. If your current drain plug has a washer on it and it won't come off, I would just re-use it as is. I have done this for years with no leaks or problems.

Dennis

K

·
0 Posts
Sometimes they conform so well they become stuck on. Gently tap the edge with the blade of a screwdriver and it will pop off.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I'm a big fan of replacing the crush washer with every oil change. IMO it is designed to do it's job once. Sometimes it gets crushed to the point that it expands to where it's engaged with the threads of the plug and won't come off. What I do is try to grasp the crush washer at the edges with some small pliers and rotate it off the plug like a nut.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Picked up a FRAM oil filter at Walmart PH6018. 6 bucks and change..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with brand specific stuff....

FastEddie said:
I went with the Suzuki filter and oil, spent more but I am still way ahead over what I was spending having the mechanic do it.

The designers seem to have made it as easy as it could be on the V-Strom. I feel like a chump for not trying to do change my own oil before this... :shock: :oops:

It seems, like almost every topic there is many opinions on which oil to use. So I am taking the stick with the Suzuki name theory for now....

Oh, I did leave the old washer in place, and will try hrader to remove it next time.

Thanks for the info everybody....

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
My last comment about the crush washer... :wink:

Some guys re-use them over and over with no problems, but I think it is asking for trouble. That type of rolled-metal crush washer allows a good seal with less torque. Once they are crushed it will require more torque to seal. More torque + aluminum threads = recipe for disaster IMHO.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Re: I went with brand specific stuff....

DavidLSI said:
It seems, like almost every topic there is many opinions on which oil to use. So I am taking the stick with the Suzuki name theory for now....
Here's a link to my used oil analysis test I did on my DL650. You are right there are many schools of thought about which oil is best but in my opinion it's all just talk. The only way to know how an oil is performing is to have a UOA done and compare results over time and with different oils. I would not be optimistic about how well the Suzuki 10W-40 dino oil holds up. Of course.....you could always do me a favor and have it tested just for grins. :p

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=120775086003&search=oil,analysis

BTW....I have never changed the drain plug washer and I will not. It will not flatten out unless it is overtorqued. Mine looks the same as a new one. Of course if you have money to burn........... :twisted:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: I went with brand specific stuff....

DavidLSI said:
FastEddie said:
I feel like a chump for not trying to do change my own oil before this... :shock: :oops:
I'm definitely not a gear head, but I sort of felt the same as you before I changed my oil a few times. But now I find it a hassle to recycle my oil and filters. At last count, I had about 3 gallons of used oil & 3 filters taking up space in my garage. Plus, the auto parts places around here won't accept the oil containers, and the oil change places just toss 'em in the trash. (Our planet's screwed.) So, while it is convenient on occasion for me to change my own, I usually let the stealership do it whenever I take it in for service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GRS1959 said:
My last comment about the crush washer... :wink:

Some guys re-use them over and over with no problems, but I think it is asking for trouble. That type of rolled-metal crush washer allows a good seal with less torque. Once they are crushed it will require more torque to seal. More torque + aluminum threads = recipe for disaster IMHO.
A couple years ago I changed the oil in my wife's Hawk GT. After finishing I noticed the new washer still in the box and realized I forgot to unseat the old one. The filter was tight, and since it wasn't leaking I thought it would be okay.

Bad decision.

I followed my wife to work the next morning and about 20 miles from home, exiting the freeway in San Francisco, her bike started spewing oil underneath, covering the back end and tire. Fortunately, I spotted the spew in-progress and layed on the horn and she was able to stop before laying it down or seizing the engine.

She was nice about it, but I still feel horrible about what did and could have happened. Lesson learned.

New washers are our friends. :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
L*F*A said:
After finishing I noticed the new washer still in the box and realized I forgot to unseat the old one. The filter was tight, and since it wasn't leaking I thought it would be okay.
Are you talking about the drain bolt crush washer or oil filter gasket? :?:

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
FastEddie said:
Good luck with your Frams!!!! :wink: I read an oil filter article recently...and they basically said...run away as if your ass is on fire, if you are considering using a FRAM! :lol: I don't skimp on brakes, tires, oil or filters, on my bike or my cars! My 2 cents!

Oh, by the way....I have never changed the crush washer on any of my bikes. NEVER HAD A LEAK!! Most people overtighten their plugs anyway.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Big B said:
FastEddie said:
Good luck with your Frams!!!! :wink: I read an oil filter article recently...and they basically said...run away as if your ass is on fire, if you are considering using a FRAM! :lol: I don't skimp on brakes, tires, oil or filters, on my bike or my cars! My 2 cents!

Oh, by the way....I have never changed the crush washer on any of my bikes. NEVER HAD A LEAK!! Most people overtighten their plugs anyway.
I think we need to get together and go fishing! You must be my brother from another mother. :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
RubberDown said:
L*F*A said:
After finishing I noticed the new washer still in the box and realized I forgot to unseat the old one. The filter was tight, and since it wasn't leaking I thought it would be okay.
Are you talking about the drain bolt crush washer or oil filter gasket? :?:
Actually, coming off the '89 Hawk, it was a crush washer for the oil filter.

Not precisely in the same vein as how this thread began, but figured it was worth at least ha penny. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I like Fram Oil filters :shock: as I can get them just about anywhere and they are typically only on my bike 6 weeks tops before they are changed. BTW I went 8 oil changes before I switched out the original crush washer :shock:

Big B said:
FastEddie said:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Oil Level

OK, I drained the oil, replaced the filter and added about 2.7 liters of oil. I don't see any line of oil in the oil level gauge. Is it possible the oil is so clean that I can't see it in the window? I've added a little more oil but I didn't want to overfill. (I didn't see the oil in the gauge before I changed the oil.) What's up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Contrary to what most folks and my dealer say, my 650 takes 3 qts. to fill to the full line (I always change the filter with the oil). My dealer charges me for 3.8 qts. when he changes the oil and it is full then too. Maybe his bulk system reads low or maybe the quarts I buy aren't quite quarts. Whatever. I put the bike on the centerstand on the level floor of my garage and add 2.5 qts., run the engine, cut it off, do some chores, check the sight glass and dribble in oil over time until it hits or nearly hits the full mark.

Just Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts