StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm going to be changing out my handlebars.

Do I need to bleed the brakes when I do this? I was thinking about air bubbles getting in the system as I move things around.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
As long as you leave the levers alone while changing no issues.

If you drop the bike, which is more of a severe movement for the controls than simply changing the bar, also no issues with the brakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thanks, everyone.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bleed them and it seems that is the case. I appreciate the help!

P.S. Anyone who's changed out their handlebar: It seems like a pretty straightforward process, but does anyone have any advice for any problems that might arise? The stock bar got bent and so I'm just switching out for a new stock bar.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You need to remove the bar end weights first. Unscrew the compression bolt about 5 turns, push it in and then try to pull them out. They are likely to stick. Don't unscrew that bolt completely or else you need to fisch for the compression nut at the end.

Remove the clutch side grip while the bar is still attached. Again it will stick and fight you but if you loosen it some (push a screwdriver in between the grip and bar) and then pull from the inner side it should come of. If its real difficult some goof-off or wd-40 sprayed into the gap will help it to come of.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You can get air in the clutch or front brakes if you are not careful. When you remove either the brake or clutch perch you need to keep the reservoir lid pointed up. When I do it, I use masking tape and tape the control to something nearby and out of the way until the controls can be slid home on the new bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts