StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to come to a quick stop and downshift quickly. By the time the bike had stopped I was in gear 4. I needed to downshift to 1 so I could move again. The gear shifter went down but it did not click into gear, meanwhile the gear selector screen is blank. I had to roll the bike forward again so it would then register into gear 4 and then at that point I could change down. Why?

While the bike is stationary and I up shift into gear 6 and downshift quickly, the same thing happens.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That's pretty common with many bikes. Can't tell you mechanically why it happens. Usually just engaging the clutch a little will work, too. Pretty annoying, especially since in that situation, you want to get going quickly again to avoid getting rear ended.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
This happens to me on occasion too, like when I have to do a panic stop and fail to shift down quick enough. I wonder if that issue goes away when the ECM is swapped out?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think every bike I've ever owned has done this at one time or another. It just falls into that mystery spot between gears and needs to roll a little to get it to down/up shift.

·
Registered
947 Posts
As stated before, simply let out the clutch a little, you will see the gear number pop up. Pull the clutch back in and click down on the gear lever again.

Coops.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Experienced the same thing. Come to a stop while lane splitting and forget to down shift and find myself screwed when the light turn green again. Frantically pounding the shifter tog get back to a low gear while traffic starts to move.
Pulled a huge wheely with my BMW Cop Bike once. Probably surprised all the traffic round me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It seems to happen on all bikes I've owned and the only thing they share in common is the use of sliding dog mechanisms where the gears always stay in mesh and the change of ratio is done by dogs on the side of the gear engaging in slots on the gear alongside.

Maybe the shifter forks jam in the shifter cam drum during a sudden stop but all brands seem prone to the condition.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's the nature of a sequential shift system. It takes some movement in the mechanism to release the pawl. Applying a little clutch does that. Sometimes it's unavoidable but such situations should be rare if downshifting before a stop is done as usual.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep, if you never noticed it on other bikes, you simply where shifting properly. As Greywolf explained, it's the nature of all sequential gearboxes. Shift properly, or look like a tool at the lights.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
Some of us should be on bikes like the Aprilia Mana. It forgives those whose toes can't select a gear!
Does then new Honda design of double clutches help with stationary shifting?

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
The very first advice I can remember ever being given about riding a motorcycle was if you can't seem to shift gears at a stop let the clutch out slightly and try again. I was 13 and riding a brand spanking new right out of the crate 1973 Kawasaki G4TR.

I wish I had pictures of it, but photographs were expensive back then.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Like GW and others have said, it's a problem because the transmission gears are not moving and the dogs must line up with the "holes" to shift. All you have to do is move the bike a little, forward or backward, and using the clutch helps too. That way, the dogs that didn't line up when stopped can now do so because you have moved a little and rotated the gears a little bit. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This has happened to me on my V2 as well. On all my other bikes I was always was able to get through the gears with a little mashing.
But this is a little different, cant shift down or up, a little nerve racking while in slow moving traffic. Just have to make sure I don't get lazy while down shifting. Never happened on my Wee.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
"Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple..."

Everything is easy when you know how. Some of us suffer from brain farts occasionally.
I suppose you never fall down either? :surprise:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Excellent link, G-Dub. Looking at it visually makes me wonder how it can possibly not tear apart when I shift without the clutch at 9,000 rpm at the drag strip. It seems so crude, that I've taken to using the clutch all the time. MC trannies are amazing works of engineering.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts