StromTrooper banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
@Bazooka Joe

Thanks for posting the pics! Well beyond my ability at this point. If I'm looking at the right part Race Tech's least expensive spring compressor is $200 (US$) so beyond what I want to spend on this.

I will likely just do the drain, pump, repeat to get out what I can

..Tom
This fork isn't the easiest to work on, so don't cut yourself too short. The stiff springs are the difficult part to work with. I installed .95 kg/mm springs, which were even more of a challenge, so either buying or building a compressing tool was necessary for me. My plan was to install the new springs and change the internal valving, and I knew I'd be inside the forks a few-five times before it was dialed in. It took about 4 or 5 times before I gave it the thumbs up.

If you and Moto Canada are planning to do a suspension rodeo, and you want to try some new valving, send me a PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a fork seal leak yesterday. Today I cleaned the seal using my Sealmate and it is good. (Cheap crap getting a fork seal leak with only 217,700+ km! :) )

Anyway thinking maybe it's time to change the fluid. I have the shop manual but it's almost too much info. I simple terms can I pretty much take off the forks, invert them and pour out the old fluid? I think some pumping is required. Is there anything else I should do or pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks,

..Tom
I recently changed my fork seals, wipers, oil, and springs. No spring compressor needed. New race tech springs specified for my weight, race tech emulators, new race tech inner and outer bushings, skf seals and wipers, motul 10W oil. Race tech information was helpful, as was the Haynes repair manual. Utube also has videos. I no longer have front end dive on braking and handling is improved. I did use the help of a bicycle repair stand, but that was not really a needed item.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I recently changed my fork seals, wipers, oil, and springs. No spring compressor needed. New race tech springs specified for my weight, race tech emulators, new race tech inner and outer bushings, skf seals and wipers, motul 10W oil. Race tech information was helpful, as was the Haynes repair manual. Utube also has videos. I no longer have front end dive on braking and handling is improved. I did use the help of a bicycle repair stand, but that was not really a needed item.
Are you talking about a 2014+ DL1000? None of what you posted applies to these models. Are you maybe referring to a DL650?

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I changed the fluid yesterday without taking out the springs or cartridge. All went well until I accidentally dumped the oil I removed after about 300 ml was removed. I think I lost about 200 ml. Another 200 ml came out after (which made sense since my shop manual says it uses 569 ml) so I just guesstimated on how much to put in. When I did the same on the other side (that had the leak) only 300 ml came out even with all then pumping. so when I made the calculation of how much I should put in it was obviously way too high. I took out 100 ml and it seemed okay.

After I got it together I went out for a ride and the left fork leak a lot of fork oil from the bottom. Dirty fork oil. I cleaned the seal this morning and I think what happened was when I spilled the oil some got into the area behind the dust seal. I went for a little ride (about 30 km) and it seems okay. Generally it feels slightly smoother over higher speed bumps but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestion!

..Tom

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Man I blew both mine out today at 30,000km! I did new springs last year, should have done seals I guess. I ride a lot of gravel so I think that's the issue. Mine are leaking bad, I won't have any fluid left in them by morning lol. Where did you order the seals from?

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Man I blew both mine out today at 30,000km! I did new springs last year, should have done seals I guess. I ride a lot of gravel so I think that's the issue. Mine are leaking bad, I won't have any fluid left in them by morning lol. Where did you order the seals from?
I didn't get seals.

I have a "seal saver" that I used to clean the seals. So far I have never had to replace seals on a bike but have cleaned them several times. I could bring it over if you want to try it out (although lots of people have made them.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I didn't get seals.

I have a "seal saver" that u used to clean the seals. So far I have never had to replace seals on a bike but have cleaned them several times. I could bring it over if you want to try it out (although lots of people have made them.)

..Tom
If you can still find some, 35mm camera film works well as a "seal saver". But both seals at the same time is a bit unusual for stuck or turned-in seal lip.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
If you can still find some, 35mm camera film works well as a "seal saver". But both seals at the same time is a bit unusual for stuck or turned-in seal lip.
Thanks again I agree it's unusual and just the same I would start with trying to clean the seals. Tenny does a fair amount of unpaved riding so it can't hurt to try that first.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I didn't get seals.

I have a "seal saver" that I used to clean the seals. So far I have never had to replace seals on a bike but have cleaned them several times. I could bring it over if you want to try it out (although lots of people have made them.)

..Tom
I think these are to far gone, as a large amount leaked out.if you are in the area though I'd certainly give it a shot as I may have a hard time finding them right now.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think these are to far gone, as a large amount leaked out.if you are in the area though I'd certainly give it a shot as I may have a hard time finding them right now.
Is the ice all gone from your driveway? :)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For the benefit of everyone who has a fork leaks and is about to spend the time and money putting in New seals can you let others know how you made out repairing the two massive leaks you had?

..Tom

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
For the benefit of everyone who has a fork leaks and is about to spend the time and money putting in New seals can you let others know how you made out repairing the two massive leaks you had?

..Tom
Sure can! so much to my surprise the fork seal mate fixed the issue. I tested it out yesterday doing about 400km of abandoned railway trails, gravel roads, Forrest access roads, etc. I was in search of some new free wild camping areas on crown land. It was a rough ride, parts of the bike came back in the tank bag but the forks didn't leak a drop. Very impressed with these. I ordered one to keep in my tank bag just in case this happens again :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts