StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
I do not start one of those threads about 650 or 1000, we have lots of them already. However my question is how many of you have or had a 1000 and replaced or wished to replace by the 650?
I have a Honda Shadow 750, it is for sale, it will be replaced by a Vee or Wee hopefully soon.

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I used to have a Yamaha XS1100E along with a BMW R90S, a Honda CX500 and a Can-Am 175. I found I preferred the smaller bikes. In fact, my DL650 is about the weight and power of the R90S but with a larger frame for more room and much greater reliability. That's a personal preference though. I don't think anyone else's preference can determine yours.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I had the 1000, my wife had the 650, when she decided to sell hers, I considered keeping it and selling my 1000. Mine was better geared up for travel, so we sold hers. Mine was totaled in September when a pickup truck knocked me off of it, I replaced it with a 650, because most of my riding and all of my touring is just me on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I keep thinking i should downgrade to the 650, but the 1k is just so darn much fun. Besides the added taxes to trade bikes would negate any gas savings anyways.

Vroooomm!!

I had a 750 before too, what a huge difference this was.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
Of another brand I had the 1000cc and the 800 and the 650 I put the most miles on the 650, 217K.
Later I DOWN SIZED from an 1100 to an 800 too. Smaller, mo bettah for me.
The Wee is all I need now for travel. It does the job comfortably.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Remember, a 650 V-Strom will be lighter and have more horsepower than your 750 cruiser. It will be a lot smoother as well. If you were happy with your Shadow 750, you will be ecstatic with a Wee, if your legs are long enough.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I owned a 1000 and then several bikes in between (none Strom's) I bought back into the V-Strom with a 650. I have now had 2- 650's but can't really tell you why I continue with the 650. I guess I feel it has good enough power, is cheaper, lighter, gets a little better fuel mileage. I loved my 1000 V-Strom but it got totaled out in a accident. The one thing that bothered me about my 1000 was it had that chatter/chutter in the clutch basket. I had it replaced under warranty but it still was not a smooth free running motor like my 650's have been. Others & YMMV from mine they are both great bikes. The 1000 seems to be better in wind to me I guess because it has a bit more weight (around 45pd) more.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have the 1000 and my better half has the 650. Since I ride solo I would have prefered the 650. It's just enough lighter that it's more ninble and manueverable. Also it has no hickups, chudder and I have never had to make any adjustments to the TB's, TPS, etc., and that's a continual problem on my 1000. Riding two up is a different situation. I would probably pick the 1000 if you do a lot of touring and camping two up. Just preference though

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Previous bike was a 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, which is a tic faster than the regular Shadow 1100's due to cams and gearing, and as you know a fair step up from the Shadow 750. Moved to a 2009 V-Strom DL650 which is faster, lighter, comfortable, far more capable and overall just MUCH more bike in every way, particularly in fun factor and day-after-day practical transportation in all weather and varying road surfaces. Absolutely completely satisfied and - nothing against the Honda Shadows, but - I would never, will never, go back.

C'mon in the waters fine! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts