StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, anyone have any tips for me or links to websites that explain step by step how to drain the fluid from the brakes, replace it, and bleed the air out of the brakes properly afterwards?
I've never done it before, literally not a clue how to do it, but I'm good at working with my hands and I learn fast, so I've no worries of doing it when instructed properly.
I bought a little plastic tube in a bike shop the other day too that apparently helps, but I'm not sure what it does. It has a valve on it, for the bleeding process, that's all I know of that.
Fluids getting low, any info on this would be appreciated folks......

Cheers,

Mick

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Get a MityVac or the cheaper equivalent sold by Harbor Freight. They basically suck the old fluid out at the bleeder screw. All you have to do is remember to keep the reservoir constantly filled with fresh fluid as you suck out the old stuff so as not to introduce any air.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You don't have to bleed air out if you don't let any air in.

--Find some tubing or hose that fits snugly over the bleed nipple.
--Find a six-point socket that fits the bleed nipple. Break it loose, then snug it down. Use an end wrench from now on (or get a five-sided tubing wrench).
--Fit the tubing over the nipple and extend it into a catch pan.
--Remove the cover from the master cylinder.
--Loosen the bleed nipple and let fluid flow out by gravity.
--BEFORE the master cylinder fluid level gets to the bottom, refill with new DOT4 brake fluid.
--Continue until the fluid leaving the brake caliper is as clear as the new fluid.
--Tighten that bleed nipple firmly.
--Move to the bleed nipple on the other front caliper. Repeat.
--When done, fill the master cylinder to the full mark and replace the cover.
--Do the same thing on the rear.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
You don't have to bleed air out if you don't let any air in.

--Find some tubing or hose that fits snugly over the bleed nipple.
--Find a six-point socket that fits the bleed nipple. Break it loose, then snug it down. Use an end wrench from now on (or get a five-sided tubing wrench).
--Fit the tubing over the nipple and extend it into a catch pan.
--Remove the cover from the master cylinder.
--Loosen the bleed nipple and let fluid flow out by gravity.
--BEFORE the master cylinder fluid level gets to the bottom, refill with new DOT4 brake fluid.
--Continue until the fluid leaving the brake caliper is as clear as the new fluid.
--Tighten that bleed nipple firmly.
--Move to the bleed nipple on the other front caliper. Repeat.
--When done, fill the master cylinder to the full mark and replace the cover.
--Do the same thing on the rear.
This is very good and detailed and exactly how I've done it many times on bikes, atv's and cars. Couple more points: If fluid does not start to flow, slowly squeeze or press the brake lever to force any sediment out the bleed nipple. If brake fluid is really old and dirty I always suck the reservoir nearly dry with the Mity Vac, refill part way with clean fluid and use a small brush to scrub the inside of the reservoir, dis-lodging all the gunk. Then I suck that fluid out and repeat as necessary until the reservoir is clean. You can suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and it still doesn't allow air into the system unless you open a bleed nipple with an empty reservoir.

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good advice here. I just open the bleeder and let gravity do its thing. Just make sure to keep the MC reservoir full. You have an 09 so hopefully you don't have to deal with contaminated fluid.

·
Registered
392 Posts
brakes

This has been mentioned by everyone else, but this is a very tedious process, and it's really easy to forget once to add enough extra brake fluid to the master cylinder and then pump air into the system. Give yourself lots of extra time for this.

Also remember that brake fluid is a really excellent paint remover, wipe up any drips on paint right away. I put an old bath towel on top of the tank when I'm doing this, throwing away an old towel is a heck of alot cheaper than having the tank repainted.

Bill H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts