StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks good. I plan on doing mine and ordered military green vinyl last week. I've never done it before and have some questions if you don't mind.

How happy are you with the outcome and the whole process?
Have you ever installed vinyl wrap before?
Were there any issues or problems, any pointers?
How hard was wrapping the tank?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
notacop: I think I have about $100 in material.

jeb: I had never done it before. It took me several hours, probably 8, over two sessions. Of course there was considerable dis-assembly and re-assembly.
You correctly identified the hard part, the tank. I messed up and cut my piece a bit small, which created a problem of course. I ended up doing the tank in 3 pieces, and the seams are not perfect. Looks great from a few feet away, but not so much up close.
I was thinking I would do the tank with one piece, but now I am not sure it could be done, so I would do some research on how to best do seams. There are some videos on the net on installing this stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the 3M material #1080 from metrorestyling.com
It comes in 5ft widths and if I remember correctly I got a 1 ft x 5 ft piece for each rear side panel, a 2 or 3 ft x 5ft piece for each side of fairing, and one similar sized piece for the tank. I just used a tape measure and ballparked it.
It does not go on wet, you just peel the backing away and it is very sticky but you can peel it up and re-position it.
I first removed the existing decals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other item of note: Although I like the new look, my wife said, "That was the only thing I liked about that motorcycle...the pretty blue color." Oops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Professional Job?

Anyone had this done by a paint/body shop?
I like the idea, but I don't have the (skills/time/tools) to get it done on my own.

Wondering what the cost would be for a shop to do it, if anyone has had something done professionally.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone had this done by a paint/body shop?
I like the idea, but I don't have the (skills/time/tools) to get it done on my own.

Wondering what the cost would be for a shop to do it, if anyone has had something done professionally.

Thanks
I just finished the wrapping by myself, and it's the first time I use vinyl so I think the skill requirement is not as high as you think. In fact, the most difficult part for me is to remove and resemble the front cowling. So I went to a bike shop and paid a Suzuki technician to do that for me. And it took him a while to get it done, so I don't think normal paint/body shop have the knowledge to dissemble DL650 front cowling.

Of course you can get someone to dissemble for you then take all cowlings/covers to the paint/body shop, but I suggest you give it a try on wrapping, the room for error is not that small.

Here are few photos I took for my Glee, I use 3M 1080 CF-12 carbon vinyl. There are some obvious defects but the outcome is much better then I expected:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
None of it takes great skill. Just time and patience. That includes the vinyl install and the disassembly and reassembly of the bike parts.
The hardest parts are the places where you are trying to apply the vinyl over what you might call multiple or compound radiuses, like the tank. I was talking to an upholstery guy and they have the same problems working with fabric, sometimes a seam is necessary.
Again, mainly just patience and persistence needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just finished the wrapping by myself, and it's the first time I use vinyl so I think the skill requirement is not as high as you think. In fact, the most difficult part for me is to remove and resemble the front cowling. So I went to a bike shop and paid a Suzuki technician to do that for me. And it took him a while to get it done, so I don't think normal paint/body shop have the knowledge to dissemble DL650 front cowling.

Of course you can get someone to dissemble for you then take all cowlings/covers to the paint/body shop, but I suggest you give it a try on wrapping, the room for error is not that small.

Here are few photos I took for my Glee, I use 3M 1080 CF-12 carbon vinyl. There are some obvious defects but the outcome is much better then I expected

What would have been really cool and very difficult would be to cut it down the center of that front piece and make the angled lines come in at each other. Essentially you would have a seem right down the middle. That would look sick!

·
Registered
27 Posts
cost of 3M vinyl

If you dont mind me asking how much did that cost you? Also what size vinyl sheets did you buy? Thanks
It cost me NT$3,000(approx. US$100) and 12 hours.

Bought 17 square feet of 3M vinyl in 3'x5' and 1'x2':
  • front cowling: 2'x2'
  • tank cover: 3'x3' , need to cut in half so it's 1.5'x3' each
  • side covers: 1'x2' each

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is an excellent post and contribution. I got an estimate of over $500 just to paint the tank, side panels and front fender. That's way too much in my book. Thanks to all who've shared here. This is my next winter project!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts