StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not fond of the Trax boxes that came on my 2012 Adventure. Sure they hold a ton, but they are so wide, and the locks can be a pita. I was looking at the racks they are mounted on, and it looks to me like this could easily be adapted to hold Givi bags using this kit:

SW-MOTECH sidecase adapter kit for Quick-Lock EVO carrier (Givi Monokey/Kappa) - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

This got me to thinking about changing to Givi bags. I like the E-21's because of their price and the fact that they are top loading. Going to all Givi cases (I already have a Givi top box) would mean matched keys for each bag. My biggest concern about the E-21's is their size. I often have my bags stuffed full as it is.

Has anyone else done this? How did it work out? Opinions are welcome too.

thanks

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Would you be better off selling the racks with the Trax boxes and then getting Givi racks? You might get more for the luggage if it is a complete set, racks included. Not sure, just wondering.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, using the existing racks, all I need is a $26 adapter kit. The Givi racks are a few hunnert $$$, I guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The racks are the main reason why they are so wide. The clearance between bike and cases is absurdly wide.
Absolutely! I declined a good deal on an Adventure model, mainly because of that reason. Saved money and put on the SW-Motech Evo QR racks, which are definitely narrower. I have a 5-piece Givi set (all keyed alike), V46 topcase stays on all the time, and I alternate between the E21's or E36's.

The E21's actually spent thousands of miles on my old Kawasaki EX-500, and even survived a couple of tip-overs plus a low speed lowside. A couple of scuffs on the lower corners but they still work well. For two-up trips of any length, the E36's are required, but for solo trips the 21's work fine. Depends on how much stuff you need to bring! For a little extra space, I had also used a Cortech tailpack hooked onto the passenger seat, when traveling solo on the 500.

FWIW the 21's look oddly small on the WeeStrom, when paired up with the rather large V46 topcase. They looked more "balanced" when I used the smaller Monolock topcase. But they're pretty nice and narrow (I think about 38" wide? I'd have to re-measure to be sure), and I get a little better gas mileage with them than I do with those big ol' 36's. I like the top-loading feature, they're economical, and 100% watertight.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My '12 Adventure model with the Givi E 21's:

Taken on "The Dragon" and The Cherohalla Skyway. NC and Tennessee.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This got me to thinking about changing to Givi bags. I like the E-21's because of their price and the fact that they are top loading. Going to all Givi cases (I already have a Givi top box) would mean matched keys for each bag. My biggest concern about the E-21's is their size.

Has anyone else done this? How did it work out? Opinions are welcome too.

thanks
I don't think anyone has said it will or won't work yet -- please keep us informed if you try the adapter kit. After the 0% promo died, Suzuki started "giving away" the OEM luggage, so that's what I'm getting -- once they come in from back order.

So I'm in the same boat -- bags will be too big for commuting and I'd love to be able to switch to smaller Givis.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'll check through my photos to see if I have a rear end shot ( the bike! ). I used the adapter kit, but forget where I got it from. Twisted Throttle, I think. It was an easy transition, ya have to switch out the mounting points, but the holes are all in the right places already on the OEM frame.
Ride safe, all.
g

·
Registered
579 Posts
OK, OK, I got up off my lazy ass and went out an took a pic for y'all. :)
g

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll check through my photos to see if I have a rear end shot ( the bike! ). I used the adapter kit, but forget where I got it from. Twisted Throttle, I think. It was an easy transition, ya have to switch out the mounting points, but the holes are all in the right places already on the OEM frame.
Ride safe, all.
g
May be a silly question but I have to ask -- are the OEM luggage frames the same on the Adventure model and the standard DL650 (both 2012+ models)?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I just became a fan of the E-21's in a big way, and this after I pretty much hated them ever since I saw them. I thought that they looked too small and too dorky in photos I have seen.

I recently got a Givi setup with E360s, and also traded a buddy for a set of used E21s kind of on a lark, so I could swap different size bags onto the same rack. Turns out the 21s are a great size for banging around town and running errands, and they actually look really good with the bike. I'm quite pleased and glad I tried them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yea and I think the E21's will also get you a little better MPG than the big boxes. At least that's my experience. However, it's still my opinion that the Suzuki Adventure-model racks are wider than necessary. I went out and measured the width of my set-up with Givi E21's installed, it's exactly 38" at the widest point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts