StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

I'm doing my 1st chain replacement and I need the riveting tool. I'm a little reluctant to spend ~100 for a tool that I'll use 10 min every 2 years.

Does anyone has one that I can borrow, and is located near Buford, GA? If I break it, I'll buy it.

Or is better to just go ahead to do the obvious (buy the tool)?

PS: When I ordered the 525 Gold DID chain from amotostuff.com, I also ordered a clip-type link, not being aware that the chain comes with a rivet link in the box.

I'm thinking to put the clip link in, but I noticed the general consensus that the rivet is the way to go.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

That's for a K3 Vee, if that matters.
Adrian

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Buford too far away to be of service, but I bought and used the one shown here for $25:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-7.html

Make sure it is right for your chain. Use a dremel-like tool to grind off the rivets to break the chain. The chain I bought from amotostuff was something like 4 links too long (120 needed 116, IIRC), so I practiced a bit before the actual surgery - measure four times, cut once.

S

·
0 Posts
[email protected]#@#%. I just bought one yesterday. I also recoiled at paying almost $100 for a tool I'll probably only use a few times.

Frankly, for what you get I don't think it's worth it. The one I got has a few different attachments (different anvils, jaws, whatever) for pressing, pushing the pin out (breaking) and riveting. It's fiddly to use and wants to come apart on you as you're using it. Also, it's still recommended that you grind the rivets down before attempting to break the chain.

I think if I could turn back the clock a day or two I'd pass on the tool and jury rig something with a C-clamp, punch, etc. There was a pretty recent thread on doing just this: changing chains with basic tools. There's nothing magical (or even convenient, IMLE) about the spendy tool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bit the bullet

...and got one chain riveting kit. If anyone needs it, I'm up for loaning it. Leave cash deposit, use it, return it in good condition, get the money back. Break it, keep it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ro manian,

Can't help you with a tool unless you were a little closer to PA, but before I bought mine, I did a chain with some simple hand tools. Here's what I used;

Chain and sprockets installed. Rear tire not installed.

Master link squeezed together with vise grips.

Place a vice or large heavy object on the floor behind the chain/masterlink. I didn't have a vice but used a piece of railroad rail (about 1' long).

With the large metal object as a backer, I used a simple punch and hammer to peen over the ends of the master link.

That was 3 years ago. I sold the bike to a friend. I don't know how many miles it has now, but it made a trip from NC to CA without problems.

The proper tool is more convenient and quicker, but not necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts