StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this doing any damage other than looking ugly? I'm at about 20k and the sprockets look ok, I'm really not sure what causes this. I lube the chain often and dont spare the stuff. I'm just concerned that it may be doing harm I cant see. Any constructive input welcome.
SOF

·
Registered
335 Posts
Correct. The links just wear out. It's a consumable item that has to be replaced periodically. I envy your 20K on the chain, I only got 13K or so on my OEM chain, before it started kinking and stretching. I attributed that to keeping it too tight. Now I'm running my new chain slightly looser.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I'd give it a really good cleaning as it's possible it could just be gunked up. If that doesn't help, I'd look at replacing it ASAP.

Are the kinked links real stiff, or do they easily straighten by hand?

A kinked chain should greatly accelerate the wear on both itself and the sprockets. It's probably noisy as hell. And I'd be leary of it getting too loose and riding up on the sprockets.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
At 20k I'd bet that even though your sprockets look okay, you'll be surprised to see how much they've worn when you get them up close. Assuming you haven't replaced just the sprockets somewhere along the way, of course. I replaced everything at just over 20k, as the chain was getting sticky also, even though I am "pretty good" about maintenance. The front sprocket clearly had the shark fin thing developing at the time, but the rear looked just fine from the side. It was when I looked closely at the rear sprocket "on end" I was surprised to see the side to side wear was very evident.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
New chain and sprockets are needed ASAP. 20,000 miles is pretty damn good.

Talk to Blair at SVracing. He'll fix ya up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
As the others have said, replace this fast.

Have you measured the links to see if they might still be within spec?

I don't have the manual in front of me, aside from the length, I believe there is an acceptable number of stuck links. I think two or three is the max.

If your chain goes while riding, you'll be lucky if you only loose the chain and not take out part of the engine casing along the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts