StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone use chain wax instead of oil on there chain? It looks like it would be better than oil.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I used Maxima the entire time I had my Triumph and it was fine. Now, I put bar oil/gear oil mix on a little sponge on a stick and run it over the chain when I am home, and use spray only on a trip. I am finding "real" oil to be more slippery than aerosols. Plus, the sponge truly gets the side plates well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've started using Liquid Performance after reading a few reviews - really like it. No greasy, sticky fling-off and doesn't attract dirt. Also, I actually use it as a chain cleaner. Spray it once and wipe off with a rag before the solvent evaporates, then spray again without wiping to lube.

Liquid Performance Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't think there's a single chain lube product on the market that doesn't have a downside. The real question is, does it fit in with what YOU will accept in regards to expense, actually getting it, applying it, cleaning any mess up and chain protection.

Personally I prefer an automatic chain oiler, but others don't like them. My father in law and friend one town over are big fans of chain wax and similar products. The shop where I got my bike prefers tacky oil based lubes. Plenty of guys online swear by a particular PTFE based spray. I'm starting to think that so long as you keep the chain more of less clean (harsh scrubbing is detrimental to o, x & z-rings) and regularly lubricated you can't go to far wrong regardless of brand and style.

·
Registered
67 Posts
cheap oil

Not sure what the average life of a chain is on a Strom. I use the cheapest spray on oil I can find and use it every other tank of gas. I have 19000 miles on the original chain and sprockets. Right now I am using liquid wrench spray on chain oil. I ride 70/30 pavement to dirt. Someone already said it's not what you use but use some type of lube regularly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Love chainwax. No fling and seems to make for a long lasting chain. Started using it on my dirtbikes and when I got street bikes that had chains (instead of belts) I kept using it. Keeps the chain from rusting when the roads are salted or the bike's in the rain. I also use it for cable lube if the cable is designed to be lubed (some aren't).

·
Administrator
13,564 Posts
Not sure what the average life of a chain is on a Strom.
When I did a poll a few years ago it appeared that most riders got about 20,000 to 30,000 miles out of their chain, It didn't seem to matter what they did and some riders that did nothing at all to their chains got roughly the same life. I suspect chain wax does nothing but make the rider feel like they are doing something.

Some riders got more than 50,000 miles out of their chains and these were typically people that had automatic chain oilers and had their chains lubed continuously

My chains last over 40,000 miles and this is by lubing with every tank of gas and after ever ride in the rain. I never waste my time cleaning the chain. I use Wurth HHS2000.

The key to chain life is lubing often. The chain needs to stay lubed to last and doing so every 600 miles simply isn't enough. It seems to me that 200 to 250 miles should be about the max you let a chain go without lubing and more often would be better. Note also that the lube within a chain is oil based so it would seem oil based lube would make the most sense but some people lubing their chains often good good chain life as well. (I see no value in cleaning a chain that is lubed often as the lube itself will carry any dirt from wherew it matters without risking hurting the O-Rings.)

..Tom

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did use the blue tac by bel ray its ok but I have tried plain white lithium grease and it works good only $ 4.00 a 8 oz tube at Lowe's it will lube 4 bike chains with no problems.Trick is to get the chain hot then apply the lube to it then it will not fly off.:yesnod:

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So what stores sell the Liquid Performance lube?
I got Liquid Performance mail order like chicago said. Amazon, ebay, or many motorcycle accessory stores. I try to order with something else to justify the shipping cost.

Someone (who has good credentials) told me you can use most anything on the chain, from oils and grease to WD-40, it's mainly to keep it from rusting. The real lube is sealed inside the chain with the O-rings. Of course, you do need some lubrication between the chain and sprockets.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
I got Liquid Performance mail order like chicago said. Amazon, ebay, or many motorcycle accessory stores. I try to order with something else to justify the shipping cost.

Someone (who has good credentials) told me you can use most anything on the chain, from oils and grease to WD-40, it's mainly to keep it from rusting. The real lube is sealed inside the chain with the O-rings. Of course, you do need some lubrication between the chain and sprockets.

Exactly......and that is why you do not want to really clean or especially scrub your chain clean, as that will disperse the lube where it needs to stay. My favorite lubes to date are Bel-Ray super clean, Original Bike Spirits, and Spectro Z clean chain lube. Lube often and just wipe off the chain when it gets gunked up, really is that easy to maintain for long life. Not enough attention is paid to both sides of the plates, I use a sponge that I spray with lube and I apply to the side plates when I spin the wheel. You will not ever see rust on my chains. ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not enough attention is paid to both sides of the plates, I use a sponge that I spray with lube and I apply to the side plates when I spin the wheel. You will not ever see rust on my chains. ;)

A sponge... great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I've been using an old paint brush with shortened bristles that I'd dip in a cup of chain lube. Easy to get the outer part of the chain, but a bear to get the inside.

I'm going with the sponge idea. Thanks!

:mrgreen: :cool:

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
A sponge... great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I've been using an old paint brush with shortened bristles that I'd dip in a cup of chain lube. Easy to get the outer part of the chain, but a bear to get the inside.

I'm going with the sponge idea. Thanks!

:mrgreen: :cool:
NP....the sponge I use is not something you typically can find in a store, I use surgical scrub sink sponges that are small and smooth with no pleating or other surface changes. I would bet that some of those small staining brush sponges would work well, unless that is you have access to the sponges I do. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts