StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone uses wax rather than oil on their chain. Seems to me that the wax makes the chain run a little quieter. Dan

M

·
0 Posts
When I replaced the chain on mine I decided to use the wax. It runs much cleaner and quieter and it doesn't mess the wheel. I like it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm switching from chain wax to chain lube. Chain wax served me well on my GS500. Chain lasted 18,000 and two years. When I took some links apart there was rust inside the links. It looked like some of the o-rings had dried out and failed. I figure that maybe the chain lube will condition the rings and keep them from failing. I don't think that chain wax does anything for the rings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I switched from chain wax to Automatic transmission fluid. The fellow who started the Chain Gang(BMW F650) swears by it and has a x-ring chain with over 50,000 miles to prove it. He rigged up a homemade scott oiler that he lubes chain at every gas fill up. I just use a little squeeze bottle and lube mine between 250-300 miles. I've had good results the last 1 1/2 years on mine and my wifes bikes.Yes, its messy, but that's living with chains.
YMMV

·
Registered
75 Posts
I switched from chain wax to Automatic transmission fluid. The fellow who started the Chain Gang(BMW F650) swears by it and has a x-ring chain with over 50,000 miles to prove it. He rigged up a homemade scott oiler that he lubes chain at every gas fill up. I just use a little squeeze bottle and lube mine between 250-300 miles. I've had good results the last 1 1/2 years on mine and my wifes bikes.Yes, its messy, but that's living with chains.
YMMV

·
Registered
75 Posts
YMMV

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seen at another board where a guy soaks his chain in tranny fluid then sprays on a heavy coat of chain wax over it. Supposedly to seal in the oil and help stop it from flinging off. Dan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive only just changed the Scot oiler over to the DL 650 today but previuosly it was on my GS 500,the chain on it was 30 000 km and was a long, long way off from needing replaceing as were the sprockets and that was not useing anywhere near the rate of oil they suggest.I recon there the only way to go but each to there own :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
:?: Anybody know anything about this chain oiler :?: http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

What I can't figure out is what supports the oil delivery gizmo --- Is that small wire thing shown in the manufacturers picture all that keeps the oil (wiper, distributor or what ever you call it) from getting caught up in the chain and sprocket?

From what I’m reading here, the Scott oiler is a known and well-respected system. How then does it deliver oil to the chain, and how is that device/s supported? Does it have to be replaced from time to time? It seems to me that anything mounted on the rear suspension is gonna take a lot of banging around and had better be really tough.
Yeah what it comes down to is, I just want to be reassured by folks that have been there, done that and know that there isn’t a problem… :)

Old George

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive had one now for only 2 years , 32000 km no problems so far as I said in my earlier post it was brilliant on my GS 500 and I just switched it over to the DL 650 about 2 weeks back, working great on it as well. As to how they stand up, its only the dripp novel and conecting tube which have no breakable parts copping the swing arm abuse,the rest is tucked safely away on the bike body. Works by the engine vacum and yes it works and so far keeps on working.
Check it out at http://www.scottoiler.co.uk

Regards Aussie Stromer :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
Honda HP White Graphite lube

I used chain wax on my last bike and found that although it ran clean, the chain started to look dry and got noisy after only 100 miles or so. My 2005 Strom came with a white Suzuki lube that still sounded quiet right up to the 600 mile service interval. However, I chose to use Honda's HP white graphite spray lube and found that at the next 600 mile interval, it still looked like it had good coverage, was not quite as dirty looking as the Suzuki factory lube, and still ran quiet. I figure chain noise=chain wear. I plan to use the Honda HP lube from now on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Used Chain Wax on my Ace 750 for 18000 Km and it still looks and feels great. Chain Wax is however best suited to paved roads as dust and dirt will cling and ruin the chain if one does a great deal of off pavement riding.
I'm going to use chain oil on my V-Strom as I ain't likely to restrict my riding to paved roads.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Going back to chain wax

I'm going back to chain wax. The lube is too messy. Even if my theory about conditioning the rings is right, I'll settle for slighty shorter chain life and a cleaner bike.

mike183 said:
I'm switching from chain wax to chain lube. Chain wax served me well on my GS500. Chain lasted 18,000 and two years. When I took some links apart there was rust inside the links. It looked like some of the o-rings had dried out and failed. I figure that maybe the chain lube will condition the rings and keep them from failing. I don't think that chain wax does anything for the rings.

W

·
0 Posts
I am a firm believer in HondaLube chain oil spray. VERY little fling compared to every other brand. Honda just came out with an advanced generation chain lube that a trusted source tells me is significantly better.

HINT: I also religously use MooseTools' excellent chain scrubber to clean the chain. Costs $25, uses only a few ounces of chemicals and is close to effort free. This is easily the BEST maintenance tool I've come across in 35+ years of riding and maintaining my bikes. Order it through Arizona Motorsports or motorcycle-superstore.com.

Cleaning my 'Strom's chain using the chain scrubber takes three minutes including setup (I timed it), takes near zero effort, is completely mess free (one to two paper towels are all that's needed for cleanup) and the result is a pristine chain that looks close to new and will then absorb lube a LOT better than a dirty one.

Don't just lube you chain, cleaning it regulary will greatly entend the life of a chain.

UPDATE (3/28/05): Honda's advanced generation product, mentioned above, is called simply, "HP Chain Lube with White Graphite". I cleaned my chain and tried it out last week. Pretty cool stuff. Dries to a semi-tacky white film in just a few minutes and after a 30 minute run at speeds up to 90 mph, absolutely NO fling evident whatsoever...dang impressive. The film doesn't appear to be so sticky that it would make the chain a dirt magnet, and the chain seems a little quieter, too. A great product for under $7 a can. Will update how it performs over the long-term.

·
Registered
441 Posts
finish line wax based chain lube

Finish Line brand spray chain lube, (the wax based kind, they make others too) is just awesome. I clean my chain with a liquid feed brush loaded with kerosene, like the owner's manual suggests. Then after the chain and sprockets are very clean, I dry them off and shoot the wax spray to 'er.

Contrary to an earlier post, I have found the dirt and sand does not stick to this kind of chain lube making actually it a BETTER choice for off-road environs. The propaganda on the bottle says it is formulated to prevent dirt from sticking to it. I believe that's bang on.

The only drawback to this stuff is it needs to be reapplied more often. No big deal in my book. It keeps the chain and o-rings happy, it doesn't fling grease everywhere and dirt won't stick to it. I can't think of a better deal, except mebbe a state of the art titanium alloy driveshaft designed by NASA specifically for the Strom.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts