StromTrooper banner

What chain wax/lube do you PRIMARILY use?

• DuPont (Teflon Chain-Saver)

Votes: 104 32.4%
  • Maxima (Chain Wax)

Votes: 69 21.5%
  • BelRay (SuperClean Chain Lube)

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Tirox (Chain Wax)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Motul brand

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Ipone brand

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wurth brand

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Motor oil (used/new?)

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • WD40

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • (other: please post and specify!)

Votes: 58 18.1%

• Total voters
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’m coming from have owned three shafties (still have my ‘77 R100/7) and just recently got my bike fully road worthy.
Installed a new D.I.D. 530 and am using Motul paste because it seemed to be well regarded. Time will tell.
Here’s an interesting video on chain lube:

https://youtu.be/UrEpAUi_QKA

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Yes - we saw it. Fortnine needs to redo his testing methods. lol

I’m coming from have owned three shafties (still have my ‘77 R100/7) and just recently got my bike fully road worthy.
Installed a new D.I.D. 530 and am using Motul paste because it seemed to be well regarded. Time will tell.
Here’s an interesting video on chain lube:

https://youtu.be/UrEpAUi_QKA

·
Registered
35 Posts
90w gear oil. I've still got 2 quarts of that stuff from when I still had a 1972 volvo, finally found a use for it. Apply with a toothbrush to the inside of the chain.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Started using 80w90 gear lube this spring with the new chain and sprockets. Was getting a bit of fling onto the rear wheel. Looked around the shop and my room mate has a jug of Lucas Oil Stabilizer(a clear thick honey oil) on the shelf. Mixed it 50/50 with the gear oil and no fling. Also stands up to rain better than just plain oil. Might try mixing ATF and the Stabilizer and see what that is like.

·
Registered
926 Posts
90w gear oil. I've still got 2 quarts of that stuff from when I still had a 1972 volvo, finally found a use for it. Apply with a toothbrush to the inside of the chain.
That works well, but be careful of the toothbrush on the orings. A rag or paintbrush might be better.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I wouldn't use a toothbrush. Stiff bristles can remove the lube behind the O rings. Chain failure is not far behind. >:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I stopped lubing chain some time ago and no side effects - just the opposite.
From time to time I use gear oil to prevent rust and that's all.
WD40 on a rag to clean the dirt off once in a while is all I do. My current FZ1 chain has about 20K on it and is ready for replacement. The horrible mess that I spent the last couple days cleaning up on the DL1000 reinforces my desire to not coat o-ring chains in any sort of gook.

·
Registered
310 Posts
How much life do you have on your chain so far?

..Tom

Only 14,500 kms which is nothing. However there has been no adjustment required and absolutely no tight spots.

I am also using Wurth on my X-Adv and CRF250L. Similar results there albeit the chains on both those Hondas are very basic quality. The X has 26,000kms on the odo and is still holding up well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've only had my V1 for 3 months and about 700 miles. But I've been through about every chain lube made on my other bikes. Wax, spray can, gear oil, silicone. Always hand-applied, never installed an auto oiler. Try to lube every 250-300 miles.

On my last three chain bikes, an Aprilia Shiver 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955, and a Bandit 1250 I used a horse syringe with a 20 gauge needle (I have a horse, honestly :laugh2:) to apply 80/90 gear oil on each link. With practice it takes very little time to lube the chain with this method. I also keep my chain in adjustment. Replaced the Sprint ST chain at 27K before a big trip to be safe, no stretch/kinks/tight spots, the sprockets were in excellent condition. Sold the 1250 with the original chain at 33K in great condition. The Shiver has 12K on the OEM chain. I wash the chain when I wash my bike and then clean it with diesel and soft toothbrush. I keep a can of spray lube for if I'm in a hurry

·
Registered
27 Posts
I clean with a spray bottle of kerosene, or a can of chain cleaner. Wipe and let dry.
My new favorite lube is Amsoil Chain Lube. I've been using it for the last few years, first on my FZ-07, and now my GSX-S1000F. It coats well as it goes on. Dries to a sticky touch, but does not pick up dirt at all. In fact, it's easy to get too many miles on the chain if you aren't keeping track, because it stays so clean (and it doesn't build up under the sprocket cover like Dupont Chain Wax).
I didn't have any at the place where I bought and keep my DL650 (original owner neglected the chain badly) so I improvised with a can of Dupont chain cleaner and a can of Blaster chain lube from home depot. It cleaned the chain nicely. I let the lube dry overnight and no fling. A couple long rides and so far so good.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts