StromTrooper banner

What chain wax/lube do you PRIMARILY use?

• DuPont (Teflon Chain-Saver)

Votes: 104 32.5%
  • Maxima (Chain Wax)

Votes: 69 21.6%
  • BelRay (SuperClean Chain Lube)

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Tirox (Chain Wax)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Motul brand

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • Ipone brand

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wurth brand

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Motor oil (used/new?)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • WD40

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • (other: please post and specify!)

Votes: 58 18.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
About every 500 mi. I hose the chain with WD40 and follow with chain wax. I'm at 20K with very little wear showing on the sprockets and 30K looks probable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bought the bike new in 2012. Every 1500 or so miles, I throw some used motor oil on a rag and wipe it over whatever part of the chain is reachable without moving the bike (no center stand) I adjusted the chain once at 15,000 miles and again at 25,000 when it was a bit too loose after my trip to Nova Scotia. I ride all year round including on salty roads, NYC rotten streets and plenty of gravel. Chain and sprockets look ok to me. I think I'll check it again at 30k.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used maxima primarily and liked it then ended up in a shop where all they had on hand was PJ blue label. I like the maxima more.:yesnod:
Chains, I have used:
Parts unlimited
Sunstar
DID
Now I cannot say one chain or another lasted longer as I replace the chain at 25,000 KM no matter what. It is insurance against a break and I don't have to worry about it at all. Keep it lubed, keep it tensioned correctly.
My sprockets (steel) usually have very little wear when it comes time to replace the chain, they still have squared tips. :yesnod:
Any one in need of a stock sprocket I have one.:green_lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Since this thread was linked to elsewhere here's an update:

My 2015 DL1000 has about 73,000 km/45,000 miles on it. It is using the original OEM chain and has had the front sprocket replaced. The chain and both sprockets will likely be replaced at my next tire change in a few thousand miles.

..Tom

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
It would be cool if new people vote their preference if they have not already. Maybe we should do a new poll since 20% are using something not listed??? Then we could include if an oiler was being used.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I used a product way back when - Tri-Flow.
Seemed to work ok. Anyone else? They still make it?

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
I am still using the original recipe DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. I stocked up before the formula changed. I'm down to one open can and two left on the shelf.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
As I understand it, that is a different formula. Hence the slightly different name. It is not a wax and is rather runny from what I hear. I haven't used it personally. I believe Webbike dropped it from their evaluations too.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
As I understand it, that is a different formula. Hence the slightly different name. It is not a wax and is rather runny from what I hear. I haven't used it personally. I believe Webbike dropped it from their evaluations too.

I switched to the chain wax when I couldn't find the original Dupont stuff.

It's not that much different, bit stickier is all. Still doesn't sling off or attract dirt. About half the price and easier to find.

Works.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
The chain wax companies just want you to bend over. ;)

I used to use the Teflon Chain Saver stuff until I read that some people end up with rusty chains from it, it doesn't protect as well as you would think. I used it on one chain that only lasted 18,000km and both the chain and sprockets were done at the same time, I barely made it home that trip, but I did a lot of highway miles and that chain got really hot, I think the Teflon just ran off it leaving nothing for protection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wax for now...

Well I voted Maxima Chain Wax because I found it on sale at RevZilla while online shopping for chain lube. Just bought this '11 Oui about 1 month ago, gona do first bike wash next week. Plan to clean, lube and adjust the chain at that time. So I will use this chain wax lube to see how it goes.

So far I'm 100% street only riding. Chain looks kinda gunky right now and looks to need slight adjustment. I think PO used the Teflon lube. Again, just found the Maxima 3 can chain lube, clean kit on sale. I watched a Utube video of this stuff and that also convinced me to try it.

May try the Dupont once I run out of this lube or something else sooner, we'll see in about 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Total derail here sorry...

But after my first bike wash of my Oui next week. What should I use to lube all other parts on my bikes' kickstands', bolts, etc? Again, sorry for the derail. I'll do a search now, I know shoulda done that first.

But I will prolly find all kinds of suggestions for that stuff too I imagine. :nerd: Peace y'all, e.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
But after my first bike wash of my Oui next week. What should I use to lube all other parts on my bikes' kickstands', bolts, etc? Again, sorry for the derail. I'll do a search now, I know shoulda done that first.

But I will prolly find all kinds of suggestions for that stuff too I imagine. :nerd: Peace y'all, e.
I'm not familiar with the Oui, but most bike lubrication points typically call for grease. For the bikes and cars I use a spray lithium grease. Kind of like a lot of chain lubes (see? keeping it on topic...:wink2:) it has a solvent that lets it flow into tight spaces and then evaporates leaving the grease. Keeps you from having to take things apart to grease them. Can be messy so I spray carefully and use paper towels to protect nearby areas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To clarify...

Oui, just a play on words: Oui=Wee=1st Gen, V Strom-DL650. Mine's 2011 yr model.

And to stay on-topic. Glad to see there are so many options for chain lubes/cleaners available. Will have to try some of the others on this surveys' list down the road. But keeping with the Maxima 3 pack for starters.

·
Registered
859 Posts
80w90 gear oil

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Definitely old school there!
My dad was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF.
He had some really thick grease he brought home one time that went on and stayed on.
Wish I knew what it was.
When I was stationed in North Dakota we used a heavy oil Houghton 1133A that made molasses look runny.
It was injected into a bull/pinion gear using superheated air to vaporize it.
I used some of that on a chain once - but it attracted too much crud.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Oui, just a play on words: Oui=Wee=1st Gen, V Strom-DL650. Mine's 2011 yr model.

And to stay on-topic. Glad to see there are so many options for chain lubes/cleaners available. Will have to try some of the others on this surveys' list down the road. But keeping with the Maxima 3 pack for starters.
Ha, you got me on that one. I'm usually a little quicker...just had a brain phart.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I voted other. Using the Tutoro auto oiler. Only have it on for about 2,000 miles but I have found it doesn't need much valve opening to keep the chain lubed. They say to start with the valve open 1 1/4 turns but there is a lot of fling on the 2014 Wee. I am now down to 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Easy to install and we shall see how long the chain lasts. Original chain with 8,000 miles.

41 - 60 of 156 Posts