StromTrooper banner

What chain wax/lube do you PRIMARILY use?

• DuPont (Teflon Chain-Saver)

Votes: 126 30.8%
  • Maxima (Chain Wax)

Votes: 89 21.8%
  • BelRay (SuperClean Chain Lube)

Votes: 35 8.6%
  • Tirox (Chain Wax)

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Motul brand

Votes: 27 6.6%
  • Ipone brand

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Wurth brand

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • Motor oil (used/new?)

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • WD40

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • (other: please post and specify!)

Votes: 74 18.1%
221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
Suzuki wants us to use endless chains that require swingarm removal to install the chain. They hope owners will get the dealers to do that. As we know, almost nobody ever replaces their chain with another endless chain.

Cheers,
Glenn
Suzuki's chain kit include a master link.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Are you saying 40K on same chain? What are you doing to take care of it? ( type of oiler, Synthetic 90W? , etc etc) TIA!

How do you ride it? Easy going, or ride like you stole it ( lol) ?

How often do you adjust and what amount of slack do you allow?
Yes, same chain and rear sprocket, front sprocket needed replacement at around 30K miles. I'm using 80w/90 gear oil, I lube every 175-200 miles. I rarely adjust the chain, keep it on the loose side, 1.5'' of play. I don't clean it since gear, ATF, and motor oil will self clean, waxes attract dirt. There's no secret to this, o-ring chains need oil, the more the happier they are. My Harley's primary drive chain has 208K miles, the chain and sprocket have no visible wear, it sits in an oil bath.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Yes, same chain and rear sprocket, front sprocket needed replacement at around 30K miles. I'm using 80w/90 gear oil, I lube every 175-200 miles. I rarely adjust the chain, keep it on the loose side, 1.5'' of play. I don't clean it since gear, ATF, and motor oil will self clean, waxes attract dirt. There's no secret to this, o-ring chains need oil, the more the happier they are. My Harley's primary drive chain has 208K miles, the chain and sprocket have no visible wear, it sits in an oil bath.
I am impressed! How do you oil every175 miles? Wait till after a ride? Do you apply with brush etc etc? What parts of the bike does oil get on, ( if any) ?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I am impressed! How do you oil every175 miles? Wait till after a ride? Do you apply with brush etc etc? What parts of the bike does oil get on, ( if any) ?
I lube before a ride and sometimes in the middle like at a lunch stop. I use a squeeze bottle, apply oil along the o-rings. Oil gets all over everything - rear wheel, side & center stand, swingarm, etc. - the chain remains clean, the back of the bike -not so much. Prior to this chain, I used the typical waxes/lubes and the life span was between 18K and 30K miles. Heard folks with auto lube systems were getting 40K miles, V-Tom lubes consistently and gets even more miles, I realized it's all about oil frequency and keeping it clean. Chains are archaic technology, even with o-rings they're far from maintenance free.

Reactions: Oldiebut goodie

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I lube before a ride and sometimes in the middle like at a lunch stop. I use a squeeze bottle, apply oil along the o-rings. Oil gets all over everything - rear wheel, side & center stand, swingarm, etc. - the chain remains clean, the back of the bike -not so much. Prior to this chain, I used the typical waxes/lubes and the life span was between 18K and 30K miles. Heard folks with auto lube systems were getting 40K miles, V-Tom lubes consistently and gets even more miles, I realized it's all about oil frequency and keeping it clean. Chains are archaic technology, even with o-rings they're far from maintenance free.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Obg,

You can put the oil on sparingly or heavy. It's kind of up to you. Are you willing to have some oil on your swingarm and wheel to have your chain last a long time? Put it on liberally. If a clean bike is more important, maybe your chain is not as happy.

Your just going to have to do your own experimenting and see what works for you. Some guys wipe a light film of oil from a rag. Other guys brush it on. I used a sponge on a bottle, so I went fairly wet. I think you'd be best served by an auto oiler since you seem concerned about doing a good job of maintaining the chain.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Obg,

You can put the oil on sparingly or heavy. It's kind of up to you. Are you willing to have some oil on your swingarm and wheel to have your chain last a long time? Put it on liberally. If a clean bike is more important, maybe your chain is not as happy.

Your just going to have to do your own experimenting and see what works for you. Some guys wipe a light film on oil from a rag. Other guys brush it on. I used a sponge on a bottle, so I went fairly wet. I think you'd be best served by an auto oiler since you seem concerned about doing a good job of maintaining the chain.
Thanks, yes. I will be installing a nemo. Over all, it makes the most sense. Being some what of an anorak , it is unlikely I will forget to spin the device. When in the rain, it might need more. When cruising on local roads, not as much as say... 9oing down the interstate where chain speed, added heat, centrifugal force etc,....... are more intense.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thanks, yes. I will be installing a nemo. Over all, it makes the most sense. Being some what of an anorak , it is unlikely I will forget to spin the device. When in the rain, it might need more. When cruising on local roads, not as much as say... 9oing down the interstate where chain speed, added heat, centrifugal force etc,....... are more intense.
I had to look up the Nemo. It looks like a nice piece of kit. Personally if I were going the route of "auto" oiler, I'd want something that is truly automatic where I never have to touch it, think about it, adjust it, etc. Set it and forget it.

With the Nemo, you might be fiddling with it all the time to get it right for your peace of mind. I once bought a Loobman oiler and never installed it. The Loobman also required the rider's attention like the Nemo, although the Nemo looks well made. (The Loobman was not.)

Yes, the others are expensive, but they do the job for you so you don't have to. My $ .02.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The Amazon one looks like a copy. It might be great, but hard to say. The one I found is $95.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
What kind of oil do you use in those Amazon auto oilers?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
What kind of oil do you use in those Amazon auto oilers?
From the link above that sells the original,

"We prefer to use 75W80 gear lube in the Nemo, but you can use practically any fluid including ATF, motor oil, or a commercial liquid chain lube."

·
Registered
223 Posts
Tried gear oil. Not using it again. Gotta be a better solution than that stinky stuff. Every time I approach my bike it smells like an old truck I had with a small front seal leak on my differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Tried gear oil. Not using it again. Gotta be a better solution than that stinky stuff. Every time I approach my bike it smells like an old truck I had with a small front seal leak on my differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
royal purple does not smell like that

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
I like the smell of gear oil.......go figure. LOL

·
Registered
790 Posts
Reactions: Oldiebut goodie
221 - 240 of 254 Posts