StromTrooper banner

What chain wax/lube do you PRIMARILY use?

• DuPont (Teflon Chain-Saver)

Votes: 126 30.7%
  • Maxima (Chain Wax)

Votes: 89 21.7%
  • BelRay (SuperClean Chain Lube)

Votes: 35 8.5%
  • Tirox (Chain Wax)

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Motul brand

Votes: 28 6.8%
  • Ipone brand

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Wurth brand

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • Motor oil (used/new?)

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • WD40

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • (other: please post and specify!)

Votes: 74 18.0%
201 - 220 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Vote = Other
For years I've used Origional Bike Spirits Chain Lube and have been overall satisfied with lubrication, limited dirt collection, wear, etc. I'm currently using a can of DuPont Teflon Chain Saver to give it a try, almost empty now.
After just one can I wouldn't expect to see any wear, and haven't so can't really comment on that but my one noticable thing is the dirt that has collected on the chain and rear sprocket.
Also looking at price, ounce per ounce it looks like the Bike Spirits is actually cheaper than the DuPont and I can pick it up at AAuto.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll add a to this lengthy (but fun) thread. My owners manual say to lube the chain every 600 miles with 80-90# gear oil or sealed chain lube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw a cool video on Youtube from Fortnine and they tested all different kinds of chain lubes , at the end of it all gear lube was the winner. Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
17,548 Posts
I saw a cool video on Youtube from Fortnine and they tested all different kinds of chain lubes , at the end of it all gear lube was the winner. Just my 2 cents.
Yup, I run 75/90 gear oil in my Tuturo.

·
Administrator
17,548 Posts
Bought mine like 4 years ago, think then it was the deluxe model......no idea what they sell now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Gear oil here too, 40K miles and still going strong!

Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well, I have cleaned the chains on both mine (did the Trophy yesterday). I have decided to use ATF on both for the remaining life of both chains and go from there with ATF unless there is a compelling reason to use gear oil. The chain on the V-Strom is like new (D.I.D 525) - must have been changed shortly before I bought her. The chain on my Trophy has about 25,000 kms on it now (EK 530) with a clip type master. I can pull it off the 3:00 position of the rear sprocket about 1.5-2mm, so it is wearing but has a good bit of life left. I always run them loose (maximum spec 40mm). The Trophy chain has only seen the Bel-Ray spray lube (the white stuff). There is quite a buildup on the sides of the sprocket at the teeth from the chain rollers on both bikes. I put ATF on the V-Strom chain a few weeks ago and it is still nice and clean. I'll dab some more on it today.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I think any kind of oil without additives like ATF, gear or motor oil, is your best bet for good life, low friction and a clean chain. I added chainsaw oil because it's supposedly a little stickier. I would never use a spray can of anything again.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Gear oil here too, 40K miles and still going strong!
Are you saying 40K on same chain? What are you doing to take care of it? ( type of oiler, Synthetic 90W? , etc etc) TIA!

How do you ride it? Easy going, or ride like you stole it ( lol) ?

How often do you adjust and what amount of slack do you allow?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Well, I have cleaned the chains on both mine (did the Trophy yesterday). I have decided to use ATF on both for the remaining life of both chains and go from there with ATF unless there is a compelling reason to use gear oil. The chain on the V-Strom is like new (D.I.D 525) - must have been changed shortly before I bought her. The chain on my Trophy has about 25,000 kms on it now (EK 530) with a clip type master. I can pull it off the 3:00 position of the rear sprocket about 1.5-2mm, so it is wearing but has a good bit of life left. I always run them loose (maximum spec 40mm). The Trophy chain has only seen the Bel-Ray spray lube (the white stuff). There is quite a buildup on the sides of the sprocket at the teeth from the chain rollers on both bikes. I put ATF on the V-Strom chain a few weeks ago and it is still nice and clean. I'll dab some more on it today.

Cheers,
Glenn
If you mean, " clip type master" as opposed to rivet or the type you tighten like a bolt...then you run the very real chance of the chain coming off. Worst case bad crash at speed, best case total engine. Suzuki strictly warns against using mater link chains ( if in deed that is what you meant)...............

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I will run 90w Synthetic gear oil for 2,000 miles and then ATF ( 2,000 m) , and try to see what differences there are.
I am wondering if any one else has done this?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If you mean, " clip type master" as opposed to rivet or the type you tighten like a bolt...then you run the very real chance of the chain coming off. Worst case bad crash at speed, best case total engine. Suzuki strictly warns against using mater link chains ( if in deed that is what you meant)...............
Yeah, there are guys who have had catastrophic events with the clip type master links just as there are guys who have crashed on dark side tires. I think this usually comes down to installer/operator error. I'm not the least bit worried about it.

Suzuki wants us to use endless chains that require swingarm removal to install the chain. They hope owners will get the dealers to do that. As we know, almost nobody ever replaces their chain with another endless chain.

My next one will be an EK with the screw type master link.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I will run 90w Synthetic gear oil for 2,000 miles and then ATF ( 2,000 m) , and try to see what differences there are.
I am wondering if any one else has done this?
The only two things I can think of there would be the possible better cleaning properties and possibly nicer interaction with the o-rings with ATF. I'd say they will be equally effective for chain use.

Cheers,
Glenn

201 - 220 of 255 Posts