StromTrooper banner

What chain wax/lube do you PRIMARILY use?

• DuPont (Teflon Chain-Saver)

Votes: 112 30.9%
  • Maxima (Chain Wax)

Votes: 78 21.5%
  • BelRay (SuperClean Chain Lube)

Votes: 30 8.3%
  • Tirox (Chain Wax)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Motul brand

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • Ipone brand

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wurth brand

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Motor oil (used/new?)

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • WD40

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • (other: please post and specify!)

Votes: 67 18.5%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Tom - I've been following your sage advice on chain lubrication for years.

I also think that the front sprockets wear more quickly and may contribute to premature chain wear.

I've recently started changing front sprockets every time I change rear tires. What do you think?

I've never had to replace any cash rubbers in any of my stroms. We check them when tires get charged but they are always in there snugly and don't fall out.

I think I'm doing something wrong.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,376 Posts
Thanks Tom - I've been following your sage advice on chain lubrication for years.

I also think that the front sprockets wear more quickly and may contribute to premature chain wear.

I've recently started changing front sprockets every time I change rear tires. What do you think?
Since I only get about 12,000 to 15,000 km per rear tire vs around 55,000 to 60,000 km out if the front sprocket for me changing with ever tire change would be an unnecessary waste.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've been lubing my chain every 150- 200 miles with gear oil and now have 37K miles and the chain shows no signs of dying. I changed the front sprocket at 31K miles, it was well worn, next time I'll change it closer to 25K miles. Now I'm noticing wear in my rear sprocket, guessing it may have only another 5K miles of life left. Debating when that time comes just to replace everything even though the chain may have more life, or find a used rear sprocket to throw on.

After working to keep the chain lubed, I feel I can get 50K miles out of it, now I realize it will out live the sprockets.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Since I only get about 12,000 to 15,000 km per rear tire vs around 55,000 to 60,000 km out if the front sprocket for me changing with ever tire change would be an unnecessary waste.

..Tom
It sounds like you're going through 2 front sprockets for every chain, but does 1 rear sprocket last the life of the chain?

·
Administrator
13,376 Posts
It sounds like you're going through 2 front sprockets for every chain, but does 1 rear sprocket last the life of the chain?
I think the rear would last longer than the chain as it doesnt seem to have much wear on it when it is replaced. I usually replace it when I do the chain and I tend to get the chain and rear sprocket done when I do a rear tire. For me the front lasts longer than half the mileage that I replace the chain

..Tom

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think the rear would last longer than the chain as it doesnt seem to have much wear on it when it is replaced. I usually replace it when I do the chain and I tend to get the chain and rear sprocket done when I do a rear tire. For me the front lasts longer than half the mileage that I replace the chain

..Tom
What are you getting for mileage on your chains?

·
Administrator
13,376 Posts
What are you getting for mileage on your chains?
I've worked up to it but can now be confident of over 50,000 miles / 80,000 km (last chain was replaced at 87,237 km 54,206 miles.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've worked up to it but can now be confident of over 50,000 miles / 80,000 km (last chain was replaced at 87,237 km 54,206 miles.)

..Tom
Wow! I'm at 37K miles, the chain looks like it'll go 50K miles, but unfortunately the rear sprocket doesn't. I'm thinking of picking up a used sprocket depending how long the current lasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started using gear oil. Dirt just flings off the chain now.
I bought the bike at 21 and was pretty lazy with the chain but not the services. I’m now pretty anal. Sprockets and chain are still good after 30k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a Loobman chain oiler with any clean oil I have in the garage. Currently using gear oil but have had good results using various car oils and even sunflower oil (though that did fling off very easily). It does wash off easily in the wet but as the application is so convenient it is easily oiled again.

The Loobman is gravity fed via button on the reservoir and although takes a little careful setting up works very well for a fraction of the cost of a Scottoiler.

I use it little and often, usually when I've stopped at lights, and have put around 10,000 miles on my current chain with only a little sign of wear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a Loobman chain oiler with any clean oil I have in the garage. Currently using gear oil but have had good results using various car oils and even sunflower oil (though that did fling off very easily). It does wash off easily in the wet but as the application is so convenient it is easily oiled again.

The Loobman is gravity fed via button on the reservoir and although takes a little careful setting up works very well for a fraction of the cost of a Scottoiler.

I use it little and often, usually when I've stopped at lights, and have put around 10,000 miles on my current chain with only a little sign of wear.

·
Registered
934 Posts

This is interesting, Leon. Can you post a couple of pictures of your installation for us?

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
The Loobman does't work like the typical popular oilers which oil "constantly", I don't see how it's really any better than spraying on lube, which can at least be applied to the entire chain.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I just noticed this on Amazon, I usually buy the aerosol cans of Dupont Teflon Chain Saver at walmart, but they don't stock this. The squeeze bottle might pack better for a long trip, easy application with little waste too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Apologies for the clarity of the pictures but I think you can see the general idea.

This is the container for the oil, I've attached it using far too many zip ties so it doesn't move about. I've also had to make a new stopper for the filler as some scrote stole the original.

I routed the feed tube by the peg and under the chain guard where it has a curve in it to form a trap for the oil. At the top of the curve I've made a small pinprick hole to draw air in and break the vacuum so the entire feed tube of oil doesn't drip onto the chain.

The feed tube leads into the head which has two parts held onto the sprocket to feed the oil directly onto the sprocket ready to centrifugally transfer to the chain. This is held in place with zip ties and a wire frame supplied as part of the kit.

It's all a bit Heath Robinson but works rather well and I'm not adverse to the home made look.

This is the feed tube with the curve in it to create the vacuum break.

Hope that helps explain it all bit.

Leon

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is interesting, Leon. Can you post a couple of pictures of your installation for us?

Cheers,
Glenn
Apologies, apparently I didn't allow it to quote you as I'm a Muppet. Please the pictures on post 196.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tutoro solves all !!
I agree, it's a better solution all round but the Loobman costs under £20 here in the UK and that was a factor in me trying one out. I was going to get the Tutoro but thought I give the Loobman a go and have been pretty happy with it.

I've used Scottoilers in the past and they were great but also expensive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yucko!😖
I would rather spend 10 minutes cleaning the chain and sprockets then spraying with DuPont every 600miles......keeps my bike pristine ;) .
Then again, I am entirely anal :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
Apologies, apparently I didn't allow it to quote you as I'm a Muppet. Please the pictures on post 196.
No worries. I saw your pictures. Very informative, thank you! I suspect I may be a Muppet, too, at times. That's good, isn't it?

Cheers,
Glenn

181 - 200 of 206 Posts