StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the Seattle area have a chain tool I can borrow? After 20K miles my chain and sprocket are ready to be replaced.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use a grinder and punch. Grind the rivits on one plate down flush, then grind a bit more, thinning the side plate as well as shortening the rivits. Then move the grinder and hit it real fast from a few directions, sometimes you drag material sideways, this will remove that. Take the punch and hammer and after you spin this plate to the sprocket at comfortable location, hammer back and forth on the two rivits, backing the link towards the wheel. Buy new chain with clip style link, your home free!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I don't have a chain tool, but I do have the special tools required to remove the swingarm if you wanna take yours off the "OEM" way. That's how I did mine. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I do !!.I will pm you my #.

Alan..

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Same here, you're welcome to come down and use them. Going to be doing mine also, in fact. Maybe you could swing by and borrow dtalk's swingarm tool on your way, was planning to service it this time around also. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here, you're welcome to come down and use them. Going to be doing mine also, in fact. Maybe you could swing by and borrow dtalk's swingarm tool on your way, was planning to service it this time around also. :mrgreen:
Rob, what weekend would work for you? I can be down there as soon as this weekend, I think...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm thinking this weekend will work most likely. I'll let you know for sure later today.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend would work for me. I ordered the chain and sprockets set from Blair last night, so I should have them by the weekend.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yippee another service day at Rob's. Just kidding.Great weather HuH? Rob, does your wife still need my poop? Horse poop that is?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
George -

Yep, she was just talking about that earlier today. I need to get the area a little more prepared if you can wait a while, though?

Marcin and anyone else -

Need to wait until next weekend after all. I forgot about a bunch of graduation events we need to attend both days (not our kids, friends' kids, by the way). So how does Saturday the 18th sound?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know if I can make next weekend, as I'm hoping to be on a road trip then... but that's OK, I can always attempt to do it myself and get the tool from LoneStrom.

·
Registered
512 Posts
marcin, do you need a garage to do it in? I have two!!! I even have a portable lift to raise it up in the air. Email me direct if you want to do that. I will be around the house on saturday this weekend.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And it looks like I won't be doing the chain and sprockets tomorrow, as I just got home, and sadly the stuff from Blair @SVracingparts has not yet arrived.:frown:

I guess I'll wait until next weekend, unless they show up tomorrow. Means it's time to ride the Husky, I reckon :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not get to wrench on the Wee today, since the chain and sprockets are still not here, but I did get a bunch of work on done on the Husky:
  1. Got the new 6.6 gallon Safari tank mounted
  2. Got the HDB hand guards mounted

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chain and sprockets are here...

Rob, is this coming weekend still a possibility for you?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yep, Saturday's good. The morning work for you? After 8 sometime?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey dtalk, I sent you a PM re the swing arm tool a few days ago but haven't heard back -- any chance I can pick that up before the weekend?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hey dtalk, I sent you a PM re the swing arm tool a few days ago but haven't heard back -- any chance I can pick that up before the weekend?
I don't need it, made my own. Also, swing arm maintenance for you is going to take more time than I have this weekend, sorry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts