StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I took everyone's suggestion to go ahead and let a dealer do the 600 mile first check up (although it was at 1,200 miles - and no, I didn't go that long without a 1st oil change - I changed the oil at 500 myself). But I digress. Here's my question. When they were done, I checked the chain and it was not adjusted which perplexed me because I thought it was particularly loose. It had about 1-1/2" of play. When I asked the head tech about it, he said that it should be that way and that V-stroms should have a bit more slack in the chain than other bikes due to it's long swing arm. So, is he correct? Do you guys agree?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seriously, get a fat buddy to sit on it, then measure the chain slack again. It will probably be tight enough.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
I prefer to set the slack on the loose side, if its too tight, it will stress the countershaft & sprocket carrier bearings and the chains o-rings

if possible, settle the suspension to the maximum swingarm extension when the front sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear spocket are in alignment, you want about a ¼" slack at that point, no less

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The spec is 0.8-1.2" at the tightest point in the chain with the bike on the side stand and unladen and the loose end of that is probably best. 1.5" isn't out of the ball park but it will put the center fielder up against the wall.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Tightest point

I've been thinking about this business of there supposedly being differences in the tension of the chain at different points of its circuit around the sprockets. My conclusion is that the amount of slack is a function of the length of the entire chain, not any particular segment of it. This assumes that at least one of the two sprockets is free to rotate as you push against the chain to measure its slack, which is normally the case.

I've never been able to find a tightest point on my chain. It's the same everywhere. I used to think I was just lucky to have an evenly wearing chain. Now I'm convinced that it has to be the same everywhere, according to simple mechanics.

For an illustrative comparison, think of a fan belt around freely turning pulleys. You wouldn't expect there to be a difference in the slack of the belt if you rotated the system a bit. I don't see how a chain on freely rotating sprockets is any different.

I'm open to a convincing refutation.

·
38,104 Posts
A chain will only have tighter points if a sprocket is out of round or the chain is worn unevenly. The former is rare and the latter is common with enough miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Greywolf

I understand how out-of-round sprockets would cause variability in chain tightness. Right. Hadn't thought of that.

When you say a chain "worn unevenly," I suppose that would be a type of wear that changes the radius of sprocket + chain as the chain bends around the sprocket. OK. Yep, I can see how that could cause changes in tightness.

When I was thinking about this before my first post, I was neglecting wear and imperfections that affect sprocket + chain radius and was only thinking about the total length of the chain.

Thanks for making me think beyond my initial assumptions.

·
38,104 Posts
No. A worn chain is often referred to a stretched even though it is really the addition of play in the pin to bushing area that makes the chain measure longer in the worn areas. Get more wear in one part of the chain that another and the less worn section will appear tighter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
whats going on here
every time time i try to tighten up chain ,4 times now in a month
after riding a short distance it's back where it was.
axel bolts to spec on tightness,what has to happen on adjusters??

·
38,104 Posts
How many miles are on the chain? Stability occurs in mid life. Very early in life the chain wears in. Very late in life it wears out.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
whats going on here
every time time i try to tighten up chain ,4 times now in a month
after riding a short distance it's back where it was.
axel bolts to spec on tightness,what has to happen on adjusters??
You might be overtightening it and it is stretching back to where it wants to be...

·
Registered
230 Posts
You might be overtightening it and it is stretching back to where it wants to be...
This 100% can happen. When I was a kid I thought you should "tighten" the chain on my dirt bike. After a couple hours the chain would be "loose" again. I destroyed that chain pretty quick and then Dad had to replace it and thought to check my method of adjusting.... I stood corrected. Hey, I was 11 years old, what did I know!

·
Registered
485 Posts
There's lots of good, practical wisdom on this site, and I'd just like to say thanks everyone for sharing your experience :thumbup:

I was seeing the same thing with my chain as xswing was (7600 miles on my chain and I had tightened it a tad around 7k). It's at about an inch and a half of slack now, so I'll just leave it as is rather than adjust it to about an inch of slack as I had intended.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys I had the same questions. I tightened it a week ago and it is now back to the same slackness it was before. At least I know its not an issue any more.

Cheers

Reyno.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's nothing wrong with having the chain too lose. Of course, not so loose as to come off the sprocket though.

I think the chain tension bit in the manual hasn't been rewritten for the 07+ swingarms that are longer... does that make a difference?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts