StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 VStrom 650. The last two times when tightening the chain, it's become very hard to turn the hex nuts, as if they've reach their maximum tightening point, yet the chain is way too slack. What am I missing and/or ignorant of? Thank you.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Did you loosen the axle nut first?

·
38,047 Posts
Take off the end blocks if you can and check to see if the adjuster blocks are all the way back. The chain might have been replaced with one having too many links.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both chain and sprocket were replaced about 17K ago and haven't given me any problem until the last couple chain adjustments. I will try your suggestion - thank you for it!

·
38,047 Posts
Chain length changed in the 2007 model year from 116 links to 118 links and typical aftermarket replacement chains had 120 links as some bike models with 525 chains needed that many. That's why some chains with too many links sometimes get installed.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
A friend and I spent many moments counting links when replacing my chain. We we finally agreed on a count we adjusted the chain and it's been great since.
I adjust the chain at tire replacement intervals and have kept using the same markings as a guide with good results.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
A friend and I spent many moments counting links when replacing my chain. We we finally agreed on a count we adjusted the chain and it's been great since.
I adjust the chain at tire replacement intervals and have kept using the same markings as a guide with good results.
yes I count 'em twice before I cut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts