StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the chain drive, and seeking an opinon of how often one should worry about checking the chain slack. So if on a trip…every 1,ooo mi. or 1,500mi. Does it depend on the newnwess of the chain sprocket? I ride only on pavement.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When you lube the chain, grab it (with a paper towel or gloves if you want to keep your hands clean) at the mid point and check it for tension. Once you've done it with a ruler or tape measure a couple times you'll get a feel for about how much there should be. Excessive slack will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A chain tends to 'stretch' a little when new. I usually find one adjustment is needed after new then long intervals between adjustments. For example, my bike has about 8300 miles and only one chain adjustment sometime during the first thousand miles. When you find it needing frequent adjustment, it likely is old and time for replacement. DO NOT over-tension the chain. It will wear faster and can cause expensive damage to the bike. I run mine on the loose end of the spec.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I adjusted mine during the first thousand miles or so, and then never had to touch it till I replaced the rear tire. I like to run my chain as 'loose & lubed' as I can...

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
All the above is correct/good info and my experience also. But, I check my chain and tires daily. Now only tires ;-)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Don't run it too tight....the spec in the manual is suspect (IMHO), run it to the looser side of that if you must. Tight chains wear fast and require frequent adjustment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm with others who have said they keep their drive chains on the looser end of spec. Too loose though and I find gear changes begin to feel more jerky. It doesn't take much to adjust the chain back to its happy place - often only a 1/4 turn of the bolts.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Once initial stretch occurs, typically no further adjustments are needed for the longevity of a rear tire.....perhaps longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts