StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'11 DL650A -
What I would like to do is temporarily attach a socket to the lefthand side (axle) nut.
But of course it falls off and needs to be held while you torque the other side.
I find this awkward.
Has anyone got a way to do this?
Picture of my dilemma:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
My experience is the axle doesn't need to be held. Maybe it's because I reverse the axle so the nut is on the left. I found it easier to get the parts to line up that way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine turns as well and I use a Motion Pro combination lever/22mm box end wrench like the one pictured to hold it, while using the supplied 24mm on the other end. I have my axle reversed as per greywolf, but mine still turns (although it is likely that the threads are slightly damaged).

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
My bolt stays tight when I fiddle with my nut. Until the nut is off the bolt and I'm trying to pull the bolt out it doesn't want to rotate.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - maybe I've been too worried about axle slippage. Would it be correct to assume that some axle movement doesn't matter as long as you can reach the required torque on the nut?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The usual chain adjustment rules apply:
--the chain should need adjustment very seldom. Very, very seldom. When it needs frequent adjustment, it's dying.
--A bit loose is better than a bit tight.
--Sight over the top of the rear sprocket to check that the chain is running straight to the front sprocket, or use one of the cheap alignment tools (or an expensive laser alignment tool). Don't trust the marks on the swingarm as the final setting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts