StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Chain issue on my 2005 Wee. I commute 84 miles a day, so I put miles on. My chain is noticeably loose and and appears to be “missing” on the chainring. Chainrings look good. I put the bike on the center stand and tightened the chain. I then spun the wheel backward (in neutral) and noticed that the chain would ride up out of the rear cogs each turn in one spot. (Picture below) I assume this is because of chain stretch? Am I correct?
Thank you!!!
JP
17BD9997-F9FF-4ED7-9C32-56B7A67CA363.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Sprocket looks wore out - chain likely needs replacement too.
Take a picture of the teeth on the sprocket

Reactions: JPTahoe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the misnaming, I used a bicycle term. Chainring = sprocket. I’ll try to get a photo of sprockets ASAP. They look good to me...but I’m pretty new to this on motorcycles. Thanks for jumping in to help folks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Beyond loose, likely trashed. What's the front sprocket look like?

With a commute like that, a chain oiler will pay for itself quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
test chain wear by pulling off rear sprocket at 3 o'clock position (rear). if chain exposes teeth....shot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front sprocket photo above. So, if I need to replace front and rear sprockets and chain, recommendations?
thanks again!
JP

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts
Chains don't stretch, but sprockets wear........that's your problem, plus bad chain/sprocket alignment as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree about replacing the chain and sprockets. My thought is that if the chain is riding up off of the teeth at some point, there is (are) a link or links that have gotten dry and caused a tight spot. BTW, technically chains don’t “stretch”; the pins and rollers wear which causes the slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think you've got some sort of manufacturing defect in the chain. The space between the links should be even to start with, and should wear evenly over time. But in your very first picture the distance between the plates at the 12:00 position looks to be significantly larger than the other distances. Could be the camera angle, but I don't think so.

The only reasons I can think of is that one or two of those pins were not greased from the factory, or you somehow lost the o-rings and now all the grease has seeped out. Both would've led to accelerated wear, causing "elongation" of the pins and rollers. It's this latter thing that is commonly called "chain stretch".

To me, the sprockets don't look too bad. And there is a measurement described in the maintenance manual where you measure 11 pins (10 links) for distance, and if it's below a certain threshold, your chain is still good. So if the rest of the chain is OK, and a careful inspection doesn't reveal any O-rings missing from between the plates anywhere, you could consider taking out the bit at the 12:00 position and replacing it with a new bit. It does require a spare length of chain, two master links and the appropriate tooling to remove and install sections of chain (breaker and riveting tools). I've got all of this in my garage, so that would probably be my course of action.

But if you're not that into doing your own maintenance, or if you don't have those tools, then I would go to the dealer and get the chain replaced. And most places will recommend that you always replace chains and sprockets as a set. If only for peace of mind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again all. While I get ordering parts figured out, I’ll lube the chain well and see if that affects things. I have been on top of checking the alignment using the hash marks on the both sides of the rear end. That is straight. Looking at the teeth on the cogs, they look evenly worn...I appreciate the input. I want to stay safe and enjoy the ride daily. It keeps me sane.
JP

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't trust those hash marks. I know mine are way out. If I line up my rear tire using those, you can see the bend in the chain from the misalignment of the chain and sprokets. I use an alignment tool like this.

and you can find videos on-line on how to align your wheels with string.

but don't trust the marks on the swingarm unless you've verified that they're good.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Yep, replace sprockets and chain....how many mile on the existing set up?

I buy mine here:

If you want the EK tooless Master link & chain you will have to order each separate components...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Approx. 1.5" is actually preferred.

Reactions: JPTahoe
1 - 20 of 46 Posts