StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get to the point where both my chain and sprocket(s) are worn out I need some insight(s) as to what brand of each I should buy.
I want to buy them and take them with me on my next trip. My v-strom has 10,000 miles on it and probably need to be considering replacing the stock stuff.
I use an oiler to help lube the chain. It seems to work ok.
But....better to have replacement parts with you then have to rely on getting it at a dealer in the middle of know where.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Before I get to the point where both my chain and sprocket(s) are worn out I need some insight(s) as to what brand of each I should buy.
I want to buy them and take them with me on my next trip. My v-strom has 10,000 miles on it and probably need to be considering replacing the stock stuff.
I use an oiler to help lube the chain. It seems to work ok.
But....better to have replacement parts with you then have to rely on getting it at a dealer in the middle of know where.
Thanks for your help.
Pete, your stock set should last 15,000 - 20,000 miles with basic maint/oiling. Unless you are taking a 5,000 mile trip, you still have plenty of time to get a new set.........and typically chains don't "die a quick death" in the middle of no-where.....they will start making noises, etc. an indication they are expiring. Oh yeah, stay away from Aluminum sprockets..........

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been very happy with the Super Links chain and sprocket set purchased from Vstroma. The chain has now done 32000 km and shows no sign of wear being kink free and fitting tight around the back sprocket.

Over Easter I did 5000km from Queensland to Victoria and return with no chain adjustment and none required now.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Each of these good brands has several quality levels (except Renthal): DID, EK, RK, Renthal. Let your wallet be your guide. Also, the major wholesalers' own brands are good value for the money: PartsUnlimited, WPS (Western Powersports), BikeMaster (Tucker-Rocky).

My local mechanic says that he sees no significant difference in the brand of the sprockets.

And, your chain is only about half worn out. If you see red rust dust coming out from under the rollers, it's dying, otherwise lube and ride on. If you carry the chain & sprockets, you'll also need to carry the rivet tool and a way to cut off the stock endless chain; expect many shops to refuse to install parts you carry in--they count on the parts margin as part of their needed income. With 10k, I'd just carry some good chain lube and ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You should get 20,000+ miles out of a chain and sprocket set. I've been running an aluminum rear on my RC51 and got about 22,000 out of each one, and I'm in the Guinness book of records for being the worst about chain maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts