StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREETINGS -- Suzuki OEM Drive Chain Kit DL650/A Vstrom 12 27000-20830, available widely for about $180 will fit 2012 -2016 dl650.

QUESTION: what particular brand chain comes with this kit. Onieda Suzuki just got back to me and said the chain was the same as factory specs. the factory spec is rk 525 sm0z8 which retails for $202.67. Many claim the factory equipment is very good. I think I will go with this kit. in the past Suzuki used a DID chain!?

QUESTION: can I use the an EK screw type master link on the OEM chain? It would be less trouble to install, and then remove next time the chain is replaced.

FINALLY: an $13 chain alignment tools is affordable, but I can only use it by removing the chain guard & wheel hugger. Maybe I should use a givi wheel hugger by itself and sell the chain guard. looks more cool w/o a chain guard. Comments?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Suzuki has used both brands for OE, either one is a very good chain. I'm not personally familiar with the screw type master link, and would recommend the rivet.
The alignment tool is unnecessary. Just measure from swing arm pivot to rear axle and get each side equal. Afterwards, you can note the marks on the adjuster plates to see if they are even, (or take note of how far off they are), and use that for future reference if you want.
You didn't mention sprockets, but it is highly recommended to replace both sprockets at the same time as the chain.

Denniskirk.com has chain and sprocket kit, includes rivet master link, both RK and DID brand. Stock sprocket sizes, 118 link chain, no cutting required. I like these for being a matched set in one package, no guesswork. I once ordered chain and sprockets separately and got mis matched sizes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm curious to know what the reasoning/motivation is to go with the OEM kit vs a kit with DID chain and JT sprockets for about $100 less.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. Why OEM chain & sprocket kit? Because it is a known product and considered a good choice. There are too many choices out there for a newby like me. i did not find any $100 kits, with taxes and shipping included. I did go with a 46T rear sprocket vs. 47T because I dont need to keep the revs lower on the hwy. I prefer 2ndary roads and off road as much as possible.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The thing is, you're proposing cutting a continuous chain and installing a screw type master link from a completely different manufacturer. That right there is not a known product. I'd argue that you'd be creating a very suspect product.

Regarding the sprocket sizes, the 46 tooth rear will give you slightly taller gearing, which will give you slightly lower revs that you say you don't need.

·
Registered
228 Posts
for me i would not skimp on a chain
the risks are just way to much for bike and rider
as for using a master link on another manufacturers chain, dont do it
i just picked up a oem kit for i think $165 maybe more maybe less i have to check my receipt
that being said i have run all did chains before this
always steel sprockets
just my .02

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you want to use an EK screw master, get an EK chain. Don't mix and match brands of chain and master link.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Also take a look at the Sprocketcenter.com

525 Chain Kit - JT Sprockets Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - SUZUKI DL 650 V-strom '07-18 - DL 650 V-Strom 2007-2018 (all models) - Suzuki - STREET

They carry several different brand names of chain and sprockets including the EK:

EK Chain 525 MVXZ-2 Quadra-X Ring Chain - (choose color /choose length) - CHAINS

I only buy from them ever since I bought a cheaper chain off Amazon a few years ago and it failed in under 5K miles. From now on it's oem or better chain and sprockets for me. Also, I have the tools to press on the master links, but next time I am going to try the EK and the EK screw master link.

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Excellent thread and input. I started a thread a couple of years ago on the lowest price available for chain and sprocket sets. We don't carry them because we can't sell them as cheaply as some other very large retailers and the stock set represents such a good value.

I like working on motorcycles and have almost never had a shop work on any of my bikes, but changing chain and sprockets sets isn't fun, so for me a good quality long lasting set is important. There are real differences in the life of good and cheap Chinese sets. Also differences in the durability of chain breakers and rivet tools.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREETINGS -- fortunately, the oem replacement drive chain & sprocket kit is not a continuous chain. it may have been at one time. check out the image at i.e. onieda suzuki. it shows 2 sprockets, a chain link, and a non-continuous chain. i am tempted to have the work done at the shop. they want to charge for 2 hours...maybe about $220. that's not cheap and the change out is something that even i can manage, thanks to the info at this forum, but i dont have a garage and i dont want to give up autumn riding when winter is around the corner. also, I'll save $100 for the chain breaker/rivet tool. good to know that JT offers a front rubberized sprocket. the rubberized sprocket is one of the reasons i purchased the oem kit. i did checked the kit that JT's was offering for v-strom, but it did not include or mention a rubberized sprocket. mixing and matching sprockets and chains; endless possibilities. apart from the oem kit, this time around i also purchased a sunstar 2-449946 46 teeth 525 rear steel sprocket.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS for an inexpensive, dummy-proof, all purpose chain breaker/rivet tool?

·
Registered
228 Posts
GREETINGS -- fortunately, the oem replacement drive chain & sprocket kit is not a continuous chain. it may have been at one time. check out the image at i.e. onieda suzuki. it shows 2 sprockets, a chain link, and a non-continuous chain. i am tempted to have the work done at the shop. they want to charge for 2 hours...maybe about $220. that's not cheap and the change out is something that even i can manage, thanks to the info at this forum, but i dont have a garage and i dont want to give up autumn riding when winter is around the corner. also, I'll save $100 for the chain breaker/rivet tool. good to know that JT offers a front rubberized sprocket. the rubberized sprocket is one of the reasons i purchased the oem kit. i did checked the kit that JT's was offering for v-strom, but it did not include or mention a rubberized sprocket. mixing and matching sprockets and chains; endless possibilities. apart from the oem kit, this time around i also purchased a sunstar 2-449946 46 teeth 525 rear steel sprocket.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS for an inexpensive, dummy-proof, all purpose chain breaker/rivet tool?
dummy proof would be the motion pro tool, but it's not cheap
for cheap go with the harbor freight chain breaker tool
i have both and used the hf up until i purchased the mp

·
Registered
277 Posts
I replaced the original chain and sprockets with an OEM kit in March. The kit included a master link, but the chain was endless.
It didn't take much time to remove the swingarm, but did require a special tool for the swingarm pivot bolt.
Totaly idiot proof as far as master links go.:grin2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my oem chain & sprocket arrives in a couple of days. if it is endless, i will to remove a link with the chain breaker versus removing the swing arm, and replace with a master link. removing swing arm seems like more work, requiring more skills, etc. the images for the oem replacement show a non-continuous chain, master link & 2 sprockets, but the folks here on s.trooper say it is endless...which is not my preference. i'll post back as soon as i get the package in the mail.

thanks for the recommendations on the hf & the mp chain breakers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
D.I.D KM500R Chain Cut and Rivet Tool on Amazon for $100 claims to be idiot proof and . I've read about folks messing up with the other chain breakers/riveters. They claim it takes several tries to get the rivet just right and sometimes they need to restart with another master link.

the following is an Amazon review of this tool versus others:

April 15, 2017
Size: Chain Cut/Rivet ToolColor: std colorVerified Purchase
Recently I purchase a cheaper version of a chain cut and riveting tool, I ruined two master links trying to get it aligned properly, First one I tightened the tool to much causing the xrings too crush slightly while getting the plate over the pins but I continued anyway, the plate had two holes that need to be lined up with the pins that would keep spinning right taking the pins/rivets out of alignment of the two holes, if you look closely at the cheaper versions you can see this slop in them, The D.I.D tool has NO slop holding the plate in alignment and no holes needing to be aligned, it also is impossible to overtighten the plate following the video on the D.I.D website, The riveting portion is the same way and easy as pie, I wasted $42 on Masterlinks and two hours of my time not to mention a week ordering new masterlinks trying to do it without the D.I.D tool and now I have a quality tool that I can keep on my adventure bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you read my mind with the breaker/riveting tool. I'm sold. what you say about the endless chain makes sense. i was just parroting back the jargon from a previous post. endless = continuous, master link already installed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts