StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just bought brand new vstrom 650 2019, and after first service (1000km) I started hearing some strange sound-noise like rubber squeaking, around 60-70 km but just when accelerating.
First i tought that I didnt put enough lube on chain after cleaning, then I lubed it again but i wasnt better. Yesterday I noticed that marks on both side of rear wheel isnt aligned (for tensioning chain), difference between left and right side is 1mm, could be that misaligment the reason for the sound ?

My second question is if is it normal when rotating real wheel by hand in neutral to hear sound like some kind clicking (dont know how to explain) ??
Thanks for any advice.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,190 Posts
IF the alignment marks are off....adjust your chain so the tension is correct and marks are in alignment. That will tell you if that is the source of the noise. BTW, the marks on a swingarm are good to go by, but by no means considered a guarantee the rear wheel is in perfect alignment with the centerline of the bike. 1mm isn't much, I imagine many are out that much.

The clicking noise when rotating the wheel by hand in neutral is normal. Chain clicking on/off of the sprocket teeth.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Definitely correct your chain alignment. You can also use a caliper to measure the distances but tic marks are probably close enough IMO. If you chain had more slack than spec it can also result in some noise as it slides over the upper guard on the swingarm. I noticed my driveline noise is much quitter now that my chain is at the tighter end of spec. Chain and sprockets are all in great LN shape, but it made a little more noise when it needed adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your chain is too tight, there can be all sorts of strange noises.
Spin the wheel drive direction, check that rear sprocket runs in the middle of the chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts