StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like on v-strom chain slack is on tight side as per manual. On most of my bikes I had more then 3cm.
Is that what are you usually setting? I have now around 3.5 cm and planning to leave like that.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I don't know cm's from bm's. If you use your foot to lift the chain and it lifts comfortably and doesn't hit the swing arm, it's probably good. Better loose than tight.
Actually on the swing arm there is a decal specifying the required slack, unless someone was brilliant enough to remove it because the information offended them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, the recommended slack is on the tight side. 3.5 cm is roughly 1 3/4" which is better than the factory spec of 1.5" on side stand. Run a little loose, lubricate a lot, clean out front sprocket area regularly and the chain will last a long time. See V-tom's numbers for chain life for reference. Am at 18k miles on chain and sprockets now, looks like they'll go 25k or more without issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I set mine at 25 to 30 and adjust when it hits 40.
I have only had to adjust it three times in 30,000km and the last two adjustments were in the last 4 or 5 thousand, which indicates to me that the chain is nearly due for replacement.
Chain slack required relates to the distance between the swing arm pivot and the countershaft sprocket as well as suspension travel.
The closer the countershaft is to the pivot point the less slack needed.
Also a long travel dirt bike will generally require more slack than a road bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts