StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pretty basic question, but I can't find much using search. What is the official exact procedure meant by "measure the slack". The Haynes manual simply says push up and measure the slack, doesn't say whether that's pushing down or not, or how much pressure. (I don't have the factory service manual.) When adjusting my chain, I've always measured it from pushing down, to pushing up (using moderate pressure) and put it on the loose side of the specs (1.25-1.5" for the 650). In other words, push down and measure to bottom of link, push up and measure to bottom of same link. So I got to wondering if Suzuki intended that the lower measurement should just be with the chain at rest with no downward pressure? That might account for the 20 - 30 mm "tight" adjustment the manual recommends.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Your method is fine. I think the manual method is too likely to get a worn chain set too tight.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Laser

I had a handlebar wobble when I took my hands off the bars. I bought a laser chain alignment tool and the wobble stopped. Might be coincidence or tire wear.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts