StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the first in four maintenance questions I have. Writing to you from Tuxtla Guiterrez (about to head to the Sumidero Canyon National Park - Mexico's Grand Canyon).

You can see from below that my chain is sitting right on the chain guard. I think this is OK because I have checked chain tension and its approx. 1.5" when checked on side stand fully loaded.

Only reason I ask is that on my bicycle for instance the chain isn't supposed to constantly rub on the chain guard; it would only hit it when you're changing gears and the chain swings.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Man dude.... you have a lot of time on your hands.... that's what the chain guard is for.... Better that than the bare swingarm.... It's normal...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The chain guard is the part above the chain. Suzuki calls the part in your picture a chain touch defense buffer. When the bike is in motion, the chain is usually suspended a bit above it as the top run is taut and the suspension is compressed. In fact, when the buffer is worn through, that normally happens on the bottom.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
Hi, Bunkies, I'm reviving this old thread since I was looking at the Motobriiz oiler site and took a look at my my chain buffer thingy.
At 100k miles my chain buffer thingy is pretty well worn. i thought about using the replacement felts Motobriiz offers as a lube distribution device for my oiler. I see no need to reinvent the wheel when it's been done already. They have varying thickness pads and the lowest, 1/4 inch is much taller than my chain buffer. So I guess it's time to replace the plastic parts and give it a go.
I was wondering how many of us have ever changed that part or even give it a thought?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I guess eventually it might need to be replaced. The chain is only sitting/rubbing on it when parked and under deceleration. During acceleration and normal driving the top of the chain is tight and runs over the top of the buffer.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
Shucks, our Covid 19 checks wasn't quite large enough for a new bike. Dang close to what i paid for the Wee when I got it though!

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Hi, Bunkies, I'm reviving this old thread since I was looking at the Motobriiz oiler site and took a look at my my chain buffer thingy.
At 100k miles my chain buffer thingy is pretty well worn. i thought about using the replacement felts Motobriiz offers as a lube distribution device for my oiler. I see no need to reinvent the wheel when it's been done already. They have varying thickness pads and the lowest, 1/4 inch is much taller than my chain buffer. So I guess it's time to replace the plastic parts and give it a go.
I was wondering how many of us have ever changed that part or even give it a thought?
I have on SV650 race bikes. We run a longer shock on those, which increases swingarm angle and accelerates wear on that rub block. We pulled swingarms off in the off-season anyway, so no big deal.

On the Stroms unless you're running a longer shock or raising links it ought to last a very long time. Past the time you should be checking/lubing your swingarm bearings.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
Pull the swing arm? you mean it's not unbolt a piece of plastic and do the swap-o? That sounds like a real bother but probably a good reason to replace the bearings at the same time. I guess the fun just ran out on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Yep, remove swingarm. Those bearings do need a little grease from time to time, especially since there was virtually none applied at the factory.
All the suspension linkage bearings can get a little love at the same time. :)

Reactions: notacop

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
Condescending, yes, but I don't relish the though of a major task. Oh, fudge!
I got pm that offers a replacement guide. I may be in way over my head. Drat.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
It's really not that hard, mostly just unbolting and removing stuff. You do need the tool from Suzuki for the swingarm locknut.
Mine's about due too, next rear tire change.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
That's probably a $45 socket, eh? Use it once and it's paid for itself.
I do need to do the shock pivot bearings too.
Maybe the bike won't ride like a cantankerous hobby horse after I do the deed.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
@mark444 has one of those "chain buffer thingy" for sale in the For Sale section if interested.

First Generation DL650 Parts & Farkles.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts