StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You can also get a screw type master link where all you need is a 10mm wrench. No more chain press or rivet tool needed and it permanent if you are the sort that doesn't trust clip type master links.

Simply tighten the nuts off until they snap (yes they are designed to snap off) off and you have a perfectly installed link.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can also get a screw type master link where all you need is a 10mm wrench. No more chain press or rivet tool needed and it permanent if you are the sort that doesn't trust clip type master links.

Simply tighten the nuts off until they snap (yes they are designed to snap off) off and you have a perfectly installed link.
I'm going to try that on my next chain.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good idea. Wonder if it's OK to mix manufacturers? I ordered a DID chain, but they don't offer a screw-type master link. Only EK and BikeMaster, as far as I can tell.

I'm not keen on buying yet another special-use tool that I'll only need once every ~3 years, even if it's only 40 bucks or so.

·
Registered
636 Posts

I love these, but you're not supposed to tighten the nuts until they snap. You're supposed to tighten them until they won't turn, back them off enough to check that the plate is on all the way, and then grab each with a plier and snap at the weak points of the studs.

Good video overview (recommend muting):

edit:

Good idea. Wonder if it's OK to mix manufacturers? I ordered a DID chain, but they don't offer a screw-type master link. Only EK and BikeMaster, as far as I can tell.

I'm not keen on buying yet another special-use tool that I'll only need once every ~3 years, even if it's only 40 bucks or so.
I wouldn't recommend mixing manufacturers. There is no guarantee of fit. Better to find a local friend who's willing to help you out, or pay a reputable shop to rivet the new chain.

I won't go back to non-screw type. It is so much easier, only a couple dollars more for the option, and gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

Having the same gauge chain is more important than same brand. IMO

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone local offered to let me borrow his, so I should be set. He has one of the nicer tool sets (Motion Pro) so we'll see how she goes.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
I dug the catchy tune in the video. Makes me wanna use that type of link in my soon to be replaced chain!
I suppose at replacement time it's the same as other links? Simply grind off the bit sticking out and use a drift pin to push the link out the back side?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same here. Not needing a special tool for installation is enough to make me buy an EK chain next time.

As for taking the old chain off: I expect the time-honored angle grinder/cutoff wheel method would still work peachy keen. Getting either one of those near my swingarm and/or tire still makes me uncomfortable though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Different manufacturers and different model chains have different widths on the pins, so don't try to mix manufacturers or models of master links unless it specifically says it will fit.

·
Registered
725 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. You may still need some kind of chain break tool though.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Different manufacturers and different model chains have different widths on the pins, so don't try to mix manufacturers or models of master links unless it specifically says it will fit.
That's what I thought too. In the directions for the DID chain, it specifies obtaining a master link of the same brand, whether rivet (yay!) or clip type (Boo!).

·
Registered
757 Posts
That's what I thought too. In the directions for the DID chain, it specifies obtaining a master link of the same brand, whether rivet (yay!) or clip type (Boo!).
Last time I changed I tried to go with a cheap RK chain and kept cracking their master links (tried 3 times). Before biting the bullet on a better chain, I tried to use a DID master link, and the pins wouldn't fit into the RK chain. Bought a better DID chain, riveted the better quality master link, and all good. Luckily I bought the RK chains on amazon and returned them all for a full refund. After breaking 3 I was pretty convinced I was riveting the masters wrong, but when the DID riveted just fine, with the same tool and technique I have always used, it told the truth.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last time I changed I tried to go with a cheap RK chain and kept cracking their master links (tried 3 times). Before biting the bullet on a better chain, I tried to use a DID master link, and the pins wouldn't fit into the RK chain. Bought a better DID chain, riveted the better quality master link, and all good. Luckily I bought the RK chains on amazon and returned them all for a full refund. After breaking 3 I was pretty convinced I was riveting the masters wrong, but when the DID riveted just fine, with the same tool and technique I have always used, it told the truth.
To the surprise of no one, an RK chain is stock on the '07 DL1000 (RK 525SM8).

Stock chains have a bit of a rep of not lasting long (I've heard 10k miles!) so I guess I'm not shocked.

I've come to think about chain and sprockets the same way I do about tires: given the hassle & work involved in swapping them, I'm OK with paying extra for ones that will last a bit longer.

·
Registered
757 Posts
To the surprise of no one, an RK chain is stock on the '07 DL1000 (RK 525SM8).

Stock chains have a bit of a rep of not lasting long (I've heard 10k miles!) so I guess I'm not shocked.

I've come to think about chain and sprockets the same way I do about tires: given the hassle & work involved in swapping them, I'm OK with paying extra for ones that will last a bit longer.
I randomly read in a thread that a certain model of RK chain was made in the USA, and for whatever reason I was feeling cheap so I tried it. It was annoying and I ended up having my bike laid up for two weeks while I repeatedly got replacements from Amazon to no avail. I should have learned before that the cheapest parts aren't usually worth it, but I learned it now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
"Cheap" RK chain may be synonymous with "Amazon" and/or counterfiet. I have gotten three from Denniskirk.com., (chain and sprocket set), and never had an issue. In fact, last time I cut the old chain off leaving the master link intact, to use as an experiement. I wanted to see how easy it would be to overtighten and crack the rivet pin. Couldn't crack it, even though I cranked on it until the wrench hurt my hand.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Cheap" RK chain may be synonymous with "Amazon" and/or counterfiet. I have gotten three from Denniskirk.com., (chain and sprocket set), and never had an issue. In fact, last time I cut the old chain off leaving the master link intact, to use as an experiement. I wanted to see how easy it would be to overtighten and crack the rivet pin. Couldn't crack it, even though I cranked on it until the wrench hurt my hand.
Probably that's it. I went shopping for RK chains on Revzilla & couldn't find any I would call "cheap." If anything the RK 525 X-rings are around $20 more than an equivalent DID.

Trying not to get counterfeit junk on Amazon has become such an issue that I no longer bother for some things. It's just not worth the work.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FWIW a nice local Vstrommer loaned me his Motion Pro PBR chain tool.

I hit a delay in getting the old front sprocket off, so I haven't used the chain breaker just yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts