StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Long time lurker but have only just registered. I have a problem. I need to change the chain and purchased a chain rivet tool but it came with no instructions on how to use. I have Google on how to use but none are the type I purchased.

Would appreciate any help with directions on how to use the one I purchased. Below is a picture of the one I purchased:

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5883653755/

29-6-11 014 by Tigeraif

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
congrats on your first post mate:

I find when i did mine for the first time, the following help a lot:

YouTube - ‪How-To Video: Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool 08-0135‬‏

YouTube - ‪Motorcycle Sprocket & Chain Install Part 2‬‏

your tool looks different, but u should probably:

1) use a rotary grinding tool to flat out the protruding pin before using the chain breaker tool for longevity of your tool;

2) use the vernier caliper to measure distance between the plates when pressing them on the new chain; and

3) use vernier caliper to measure the flare out is to manufacturer specs

-----
once u do it once, you cant believe how simple the whole procedure is, especially with a good tool.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just did this myself, and I used the Harbor Freight $9.99 tool to take the chain apart, but I could not get it to flatten the rivet like I was comfortable with, so I took the bike to the shop. They did the rivet for $5 and replaced a cotter pin they didn't like.

Keep this option in mind if you are not satisfied with the final product.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why not use a master link??
Im of this same mindset.

On my 09 KLR I went to a masterlink. Now, the KLR is about 1.5HP, compared to the 100 on the Vee, does the 100HP threaten a masterlink more than it threatens a rivited link?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to race moto X and put chains with master links through hell. Never had a failure. I think if you were racing the bike you may worry about it. When its time for me to replace the chain and sprockets Im going with a ML. Unless someone here can convince me not to??

Any omments would be appreciated.

I am sorry Im not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks,

·
Registered
279 Posts
I might be confused on this, and it wouldn't be the first time, but the type of master link that came with the my chain was the rivet type. I couldn't get the edges to peen like I wanted, so I just took it to the Suzuki shop.

It was $5.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm still interested in the rivet master link vs clip master link debate and opinion. :bom_ears:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Welcome aboard Tigeraif, there's a few troopers in the ACT now :thumbup:. As for the chain joiner I use the master link, with no probs 10/12 bucks at local shop.

Are you in the military ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do understand the fact that a rivited link is less likely to come apart. There are the few stories of a clip removing itself from a masterlink and throwing the chain through the side case and doing massive damage. In my 30 odd years of dirt/motocross bike abuse, I have never personally seen a failed master link of the clip variety. But I do not doubt that this failure has happened, as I've seen the pictures on various sites.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, and have heard the same stories but never had a failure. I think alot of those failures were more than likely improper clip installation. The open end should not be pointed in the direction of drive. The stories are not enough to make me stop using them.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
but if one agree riveted link is safer, however minute, and it is not that much more of a hassel, why not?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you need to take the chain off for some reason you just remove the clip and its done. Re use the ML when you put it back together. You can take the chain off to clean it with minimal work.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'VE ONLY had a clip type master link once in mylife. it was installed correctly in the right direction but it came off anyway. i bought another and installed it with a little rtv backing. it held good for a few days at which time in installed a GOOD chain with a press on link. i paid $99 for the chain kit and cycle gear. that same kit is on sale now for $29.99. if you don't have one, get it now. it pays for it self the first time used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts