StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone around here said an aftermarket chain is better than OEM, WHY? OEM's a D.I.D
Looking in my service manual it specifically says not to use a joint clip chain, I don't know what there talking about, are these aftermarket chains like Blair sells joint joint clip chains? (they seem to work for everyone) Another odd thing the manual says the OEM chain is continuous and someone here said you have to open the swingarm to get it on but in the service manual they show you how to cut the chain mentioning no way no how to mount it w/o breaking the chain, well isn't that contradicting what the owners manual says meaning if you cut it and reconnect it arn't you using some kind of joint clip deal connector link, Huh, DuH huh....Then another guy in here said he gets 10,000 mile from an EK chain and about 25,000 from a D.I.D. so this is why I'm all fricken confused, Duh, Help!:confused: I only want the best for my baby and figured just call blair and get the EK kit until I read that about EK life vs. D.I.D..what's the best?:confused:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The DID's work well on a DL, I know Regina's (supposedly stronger than DID's) don't for example.

You can rivet the chains (needs a special tool) as well as using a clip link, and there are some now with screw in pins that are supposed to be as good as rivets.
For a riveted chain, I'd pay someone who does it every day to do the job, around here at least they don't charge much.

I'd stick with the DID's, the OEM chain did 46,000km on my bike, the Regina lasted 8, spat out bits of x-ring it's entire life, then developed amazing side play without actually stretching lengthwise much. My latest DID has around 26,000km on it and is still good.

Pete

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
DID is a manufacturer. They have ERV, V, VM, and ZVM series chains. The stock chain is a V series O-ring chain. The VM2 X-ring chain is often used when replacing the OEM chain and is a better quality chain. The OEM chain is endless, no master link. Riveted master links are just as good, allow replacement without removing the swingarm, but must be riveted properly with a special tool. The screw together EK master links have good results so far and are easier to affix. EK is a DID competitor. Clip master links have been known to fail, especially if the clip is put in backwards, but failures are very rare.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Someone around here said an aftermarket chain is better than OEM, WHY? OEM's a D.I.D
Looking in my service manual it specifically says not to use a joint clip chain, I don't know what there talking about, are these aftermarket chains like Blair sells joint joint clip chains? (they seem to work for everyone) Another odd thing the manual says the OEM chain is continuous and someone here said you have to open the swingarm to get it on but in the service manual they show you how to cut the chain mentioning no way no how to mount it w/o breaking the chain, well isn't that contradicting what the owners manual says meaning if you cut it and reconnect it arn't you using some kind of joint clip deal connector link, Huh, DuH huh....Then another guy in here said he gets 10,000 mile from an EK chain and about 25,000 from a D.I.D. so this is why I'm all fricken confused, Duh, Help!:confused: I only want the best for my baby and figured just call blair and get the EK kit until I read that about EK life vs. D.I.D..what's the best?:confused:
if you don't replace sprockets whan
you replace the chain, don't matter how good your chain is, it's life will be
shortened cause you installed it on worn sprockets

also, comparing to what one guy sez and what another guy got on the internet is not a good way to estimate your chain & sprocket life, everyone rides different style, road contitions and maintenance contitions

average chain & sprocket life is 12,000-18,000 miles some people get more some less, but most are in that range

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts