StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got both my wheels off my '12 650 I was thinking about replacing the chain. What can one expect out of the stock chain from Suzuki?
Spockets look ok.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Will depend on a lot of things, primarily type and frequency of lube, IMHO.

Mine's at nearly 22K miles and seems fine - never needs tightening between tire changes - but I lube well per (V-Tom's?) directions - generally. I lube with gear lube or used motor oil after each fuel-up.

I think V-Tom has used chains for more than 40K miles, but he rides a lot and takes good care of his bike.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Since I got both my wheels off my '12 650 I was thinking about replacing the chain.
Doesn't matter. The chain has to be cut to get it off. And, the sprockets ought'a look OK at 10k. With normal lubing you'll get at least 10k more from that chain & sprockets.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
At 20,000 miles my chain hasn't even stretched one complete mark on the adjusters. Front sprocket is hooked a little though. I lube every 100-200 miles except on a trip.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I clean my chain after every can of lube. I lube my chain after every two or three rides, which generally adds up about 600 miles. Unless it rains, in which case I usually lube it before riding again. And I do ride in all kinds of weather and road conditions. Even with the abuse my chains suffer, they last more than 20,000 miles.

·
Administrator
13,564 Posts
Will depend on a lot of things, primarily type and frequency of lube, IMHO.

Mine's at nearly 22K miles and seems fine - never needs tightening between tire changes - but I lube well per (V-Tom's?) directions - generally. I lube with gear lube or used motor oil after each fuel-up.

I think V-Tom has used chains for more than 40K miles, but he rides a lot and takes good care of his bike.
As far as taking care of chains I lube (with Wurth HHS2000, called HHS 2K in some places) with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. I never clean my chain (no point as it does nothing useful anyway). My chains last from 41,000 to 46,000 miles. Should be able to get 50,000 miles out of them.

The Wurth stuff is great, albeit messy, but I think the important thing is keeping the chain lubed.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As far as taking care of chains I lube (with Wurth HHS2000, called HHS 2K in some places) with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. I never clean my chain (no point as it does nothing useful anyway). My chains last from 41,000 to 46,000 miles. Should be able to get 50,000 miles out of them.

The Wurth stuff is great, albeit messy, but I think the important thing is keeping the chain lubed.

..Tom
Hi Tom.

I think it's the bolded parts of your message that I follow and agree with. We happen to use different lubricants, but that's OK. (I was hoping you'd weigh in...).

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Chains don't stretch except for some settling in when new. When the factory grease inside the o-rings fails (or the o-rings fail first), the chain starts to wear rapidly and gets longer due to the excessive clearance between worn pins and rollers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also find that the V-Strom needs to have a relatively loose chain. About 1 1/2 inch play in the center of the swingarm. Sure it looks akward and gives some jerkiness in the drive at low rpms, but otherwise, it will be much too tight in situations when the rear suspension is fully or almost fully compressed. Since i have been doing so, I noticed i dont have to adjust the chain, it just stays there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
When the factory grease inside the o-rings fails (or the o-rings fail first), the chain starts to wear rapidly and gets longer due to the excessive clearance between worn pins and rollers.
sounds like "chain stretch" to me... :beatnik:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I wouldn't be replacing a chain at 9800 miles "just because".

I would be replacing the chain and sprockets as a set, when it is time.

I got under 15,000 miles on my stock chain, my opinion of the Suzuki OEM chain supplier is not very high. A good estimate on chain life should be about 22,000-25,000 miles with hard use and average maintenance. Less harsh use and more maintaining nets more mileage proportionately.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
One guy I rode with recently told me regularly gets no more than 15,000KM from a chain and sprocket set ... but he also rides a LOT of dirt and dust, and a lot quicker than I do as far as I can tell. 9800 (miles or kilometres) for a chain set isn't impossible, but you'd be doing some harsh riding and abuse of the drive train to cause it. It's also possible to be shit outta luck and wear a rock or something, but that'd be pretty unusual for the riding these things generally do, imho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts